Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 12th December 2012, 21:54
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Seeking ID for relic of insignia from BoB of III./JG27 a/c

Hello,

This relic displays the insignia of III./JG27 and looks authentic. The seller provides information on the crash from which it was reportedly obtained, but it does not match the insignia painted on the piece of wreckage. We carry the incident reported by the seller in our EoE Luft Loss DB as:

"September 15, 1940

9./JG51 Messerschmitt Bf109E-4 (2803). Shot down in combat with fighters and crashed, and later exploded, at Skinners Corner, Mascalls, near Paddock Wood, 2.20 p.m. FF Fw Friedrich Klotz baled out but killed due to parachute failure. Aircraft 100% write-off."

Does anyone know anything further that would allow the correct attribution of this relic to a Bf109E crash during the BoB?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BATTLE-OF-...item337e7eb31c

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator
Old 12th December 2012, 22:44

Cpt_Farrel is on a distinguished road
Re: Seeking ID for relic of insignia from BoB of III./JG27 a/c

I don't know how accurate this may be, but looking at the rivetlines on that piece, they don't match the drawings of the position were this emblem was used in 1940.

The few pics I found during a quick search that shows the emblem, it is located on the more or less square panel behind the supercharger intake. That panel should according to drawing not be riveted like in the pictures of the relic.

Furthermore, there seems to be traces of RLM75 on that piece which would indicate a later date than 1940. That's a bit uncertain though as unoffial greys was being tested during the battle.

The colors and the rivetlines combined though makes me think that the emblem comes from a later date when the emblem was carried on the enginecowling on Bf109G's. The rivet pattern matches that assumption quite well.

Cheers! / Anders

PS If you want me to send references backing my statement just let me know and I'll take care of it DS
Old 13th December 2012, 00:09

Having looked further trying to match drawings and walkaround pictures I can't find ANY version of the Bf109 that has two horizontal running double lines of rivets like in the pictures of the relic.

The problem is off course that the walk around pictures are of restored aircraft and the rivet lines might not follow the original if parts have been replaced with newly fabricated items, if then the drawings are based on the restored aircraft the error will continue to spread.

Few period photos show that kind of detail but the ones that do haven't been a match for the relic. Still looking...
Old 13th December 2012, 00:58
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Anders,

Thanx for your analysis. This looks very authentic to me, and I doubt if anyone would go the the trouble to counterfeit something like this--the Battle of Britain makes good, logical sense, as a number of III./JG27 aircraft were shot down. I'm just pretty sure it isn't attributable to the crash the seller claims for it (9./JG51).

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator
Old 13th December 2012, 11:29

beachcomber is on a distinguished road

Discussed here

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/sho...111079&page=44

Beachcomber
Old 13th December 2012, 15:33

Clint Mitchell is on a distinguished road

Someone on the FlyPast forum bought the JG52 boar emblem mentioned on the ebay page and it turned out to be fake. Shame...
Old 13th December 2012, 19:02

I had a hard time letting this go and further checking makes me even more hesitant, the emblem looks too large compared to photos. Especially for the version used on the Bf109G but it seems a bit large for the 1940 version as well.

Adding this to my earlier doubts don't make me certain that it's fake but very doubtful.

Cheers / Anders
Old 14th December 2012, 16:05
Alter Hase

Andy Saunders is on a distinguished road

I suspect very strongly that this is one of many similar pieces produced in the late 1970s and 80s by the late Alf Batt.
Old 14th December 2012, 16:09

Clint Mitchell is on a distinguished road

I think it would be a good idea to get as many photographs of examples of Alf Batt's creations in one place for reference. Pretty damn good at it wasn't he. Put it this way if I found one of those at a bootfair I'd be jumping around with Joy, all over the place.
Old 14th December 2012, 16:13
Alter Hase

ClinA-78 is on a distinguished road

The late Mr Batt was a talented artist and... joker !