Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 28th February 2019, 19:37

Carsten Petersen is on a distinguished road
Re: The (Helmut) Lent Papers

Hi Chriss

Can you tell me if Lent ever landed at Fliegerhorst Grove ? We have a story running around about his landing at Grove and I would like to get it confirmed. It must be before October 8th, 1943 and after early september 1942.

Carsten
Old 28th February 2019, 19:58
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

Here is a 2014 auction that has papers that may be useful:

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-l...1-c-cfedaed390

And the following:

A number of Lent's awards were auctioned at Sotheby's, London, on 18 July 1966. The items were bought in one lot by an anonymous bidder for the total sum of £500. The purchaser was Adolf Galland, the former Inspector of Fighters, acting on behalf of the West German Ministry of Defence. The awards were sold by Helmut Lent's elder daughter after consultation with her mother who was in urgent need for money to pay for an operation. The Ministry presented the collection to the Wehrgeschichtliches Museum Rastatt.

Sotheby's is very good at keeping records and would at least have an inventory of the actual items sold.
Old 1st March 2019, 11:30

Wim

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P. Williams View Post
Hi Chris,

Will do.

I Retire next week, 30 years done! Will also be 50 this year and having my study extended so that for the first time I can have everything in one room.
Big Year!!

all the best,

David
More then jealous David, have been doing shift work (7 days in a row each time with two rest days in between) - even during the weekends - for 33 year already, while being 53 years myself.
And from the sound of our Government I still need to go for another 10 years before retirement. And that is the best case scenario then....as this could become even 13 years as in 2037!
Great to hear by the way that you are however still live and kicking, it has been ages since we last had contact.
Best wishes, Wim
Old 3rd March 2019, 10:31
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Carsten: He flew to Grove on 28 Aug 43 in Bf 108 VE+LT with his Adj Hptm Petersen landing from Stade 1312 hrs and taking off again for Stade 1752 hrs. He then landed again in D5+BA with Kubisch 1246 hrs on 30 Sep 43 taking off again 1818 hrs. Next landing at Grove was same plane 27 Nov 43 landing 1200 hrs, take off 1534 hrs. All flights were "Uberland"

Last edited by Chris Goss; 3rd March 2019 at 12:11.
Old 3rd March 2019, 13:22

David P. Williams is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Wim,

Great to hear from you. Hope you're well.

30 years as a uniformed, front-line Police Officer is enough for anyone. Nights and shift work is hard, especially the older you get.

I won't be giving work up totally as I intend to find some part time work, but in the main intend to take up my writing again as well as a bit of travelling.

I'll definitely be coming back to Holland in the near future,

Take care,

David
Old 3rd March 2019, 15:33

Carsten Petersen is on a distinguished road

Thanks Chris, that helps a lot. He met with Hauptmann Simon in August 1943 and now we have the date
Carsten
Old 4th March 2019, 16:50

Stephen M. Fochuk is on a distinguished road

Check the February 1984 edition of FlyPast as there is an image and note about three of his citations, one for the K.C. and two for the oakleaves, that sold at a"Phillips" auction.
Old 5th March 2019, 07:41
Alter Hase

Th se were the items acquired in 1945 which the family challenged; they were not lucky in getting them back
Old 27th March 2019, 22:53
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

Chris,

Just a curiosity onto LENT's Flugbuch, which may be extensive and quite an interesting document to read.

With HOW MANY flights did he soloed? Is it possible to establish the total amount of hours before going solo?
Who was his First Flight Instructor just before the solo?
Is the DATE / machine - werknummer and type / recorded for that flight too?

For us pilots this is the flight you do not forget in your full life....so, I would like to know more about it...

The other question:

Until his last flight (Accident): How many TOTAL Flight hours he had logged? In how many types of aircrafts?

IF you could (at your own time...and with a lot of patience) share with us those answers, it would be mervellous....

Adriano
Old 27th March 2019, 23:29
Alter Hase

I have not got his first logbook only the last 2 so all I can tell you us his total flying times which I will do in the morning. As to types, only the last 3 logbooks