Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 6th September 2006, 19:18
Alter Hase

steve sheridan
He111P Lost 10.5.40 poss KG55

Hi i am searching for further information on the downing of an He111P
believed to be from KG55, lost on the 10.5.40.
I have little information on this a/c, but its crash place is recorded as being at Velaine - en - Haye , France i suspect.
If anybody has details of markings, W.Nr, crew details etc i would be grateful to hear from them.
Regards,
Steve.
Old 7th September 2006, 08:47

Peter Cornwell is on a distinguished road
Re: He111P Lost 10.5.40 poss KG55

Stab III./KG55 Heinkel He111P. One engine disabled in attacks by Capt Hyvernaud of GC I/2 then engaged by Adjt Castel, Sgt Giordani, and Lt Lamaison of GC I/8 and belly-landed, under fire from ground defences, on Velaine-en-Haye airfield where fired by crew 5.40 a.m. Oberlt G. Hecker, Oberfw F. Glocke, Fw R. Labandowsky, Uffz H. Gentsch, and Gefr F. Günther all captured unhurt. Aircraft a write-off.
Old 7th September 2006, 10:19
Alter Hase

steve sheridan

Good morning Peter,
Many thanks for your information on the He111 loss 10.5.40.
However, after carefully studying the photograph, i have of this a/c, i now believe its an a/c of 8/KG55. One can just make out either a letter G or C and then 8 Staffels S! after the balkenkreuz.

Having checked all my sources beforehand, i cannot find a loss attributed to 8/KG55 on this date. Surprisingly, the best publication for this period,
" Twelve Days in May" doesnt even list any casualties for KG55 on this day! and " Blitzed" by Air Research, by Victor Bingham lists some 9 a/c shot down around Touel and Nancy, with 3x III/ KG55 a/c downed at Xaffeuilliers?
Do you have any III/ KG55 losses Peter, for the 10.5.40.

Best regs,
Steve.
Old 7th September 2006, 10:34

Stab III./KG55 Heinkel He111P (2846). Port engine disabled by flak during sortie to Xaffévillers then attacked by Capt Hyvernaud, Lt de la Bretonnière, Sgt Meunier, and Sgt de Puybusque of GC I/2 and belly-landed at Vahl-les-Benestroff 5.45 a.m. Major P. Schemmel (Gruppenkommandeur), Oberlt F. Gräf (Gruppen TO), Oberlt H. Prüfer (Gruppen NO), and Oberfw F. Lehmann all captured. Fw E. Meyer killed. Aircraft G1+AD a write-off.
French sources report that this crew resisted capture and exchanged fire with troops of 414e Régiment de Pionniers who arrived within minutes of the crash. At least two wounded crewmen were later admitted to hospital in nearby Dieuze. Carrying so many staff officers in one crew was officially discouraged, though it was to be some months before specific orders were issued forbidding the practice.

Stab III./KG55 Heinkel He111P. One engine disabled in attacks by Capt Hyvernaud of GC I/2 then engaged by Adjt Castel, Sgt Giordani, and Lt Lamaison of GC I/8 and belly-landed, under fire from ground defences, on Velaine-en-Haye airfield where fired by crew 5.40 a.m. Oberlt G. Hecker, Oberfw F. Glocke, Fw R. Labandowsky, Uffz H. Gentsch, and Gefr F. Günther all captured unhurt. Aircraft a write-off.

8./KG55 Heinkel He111P. Returned damaged by flak and fighters during sortie to Xaffévillers. Fw K. Neubacher and Gefr H. Pawlik wounded. Aircraft a write-off.

9./KG55 Heinkel He111P. Port engine set alight in attack by Sgt de la Chapelle of GC II/4 and abandoned over Luvigny, west of Donon 4.00 p.m. Oberfw H. Rohloff and Flgr N. Merkler killed. Lt G. Trosky and Uffz F. Stratmann baled out and captured unhurt. Gefr G. Kasischke also baled out but parachute failed. Aircraft G1+DT a write-off.
Old 7th September 2006, 10:44
Alter Hase

steve sheridan

Hiya Peter,
Thanks a lot for that, wonder if the 8/KG55 a/c is my bird?
Seems to fit in with what i have!

Best regards,
Steve.
Old 7th September 2006, 10:58

Steve,

Very doubtful for, as my text says, that aircraft returned damaged. But it is perfectly possible that an 8 Staffel machine flew as part of the Stab on that date if serviceable aircraft were not available within Stabsstaffel ? Sight of your photo would be helpful in resolving your dilemma.
Old 7th September 2006, 17:46
Alter Hase

steve sheridan

Peter, i have tried to send you a scan of the photograph without success,
much has i feared, my scanner appears to be kaput!
Looking at the photo, which is not of great quality, the a/c appeared to have belly landed ( twisted props ) virtually intact, in a flat field or meadow.
If i can get a scan for you, i will!

Best regs,
Steve.