Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 30th November 2013, 18:24

Sergio Luis dos Santos
Aviões Alemães no Brasil - German Aircrafts in Brasil Vol 1

Hello all,

Sure some of you still remember me from the Fw 58 book project. Well, it not went ahead but I assure all photos I got are secure and never will be forwarded to another work or researcher without permission.

But yes, I was working in another project. In truth this one was my very first project through Adler Editora and think best way to explain is to place here Manfred Franzke´s foreword:

"In 1993 a young Brazilian called Sergio Luis dos Santos contacted our German publishing house with the idea of a book titled “the German aircraft in Brazilian duty”. The material he offered was simply excellent and because of the fact that this would have been an unknown matter in the knowledge of German aviation history the company decided to publish the book in two volumes. A contract was signed in 1995.
Unfortunately the publishing house was sold in 1998 and the new owner concentrated on another line of publishing themes. So the work of Sergio Luis vanished in the the haze.
It took the author another ten years to find a publishing house that understood the complexity and quality of the work and eventually found it worthwhile to publish it.
The delay of ten years however was not to disadvantage. New and hitherto unknown fotos were added and more written facts were discovered. The content grew up to three volumes.
It is astonishing how the German aviation industry influenced the development of the Brazilian aviation in those days. The exploration of the country was mainly marked by aircraft types like Junkers F-13, G-24 or Ju 52. Not to forget the legendary Dornier Wal.
The later epoche war marked by more modern types like Focke Wulf Fw 200 “Condor” airliners or Dornier Do 26 flying boats.
Also the basis of pilot training was layed on gliders like Grunau 9, Grunau Baby, DFS Kranich and training aircraft like Bu 131 “Jungmann, Fw 44 “Stieglitz” , Klemm L 20 and 25.
The Fw 44 “Stieglitz” and the Fw 58 “Weihe” were even built under licence.
I´m very proud of being selected to write the foreword for this excellent work. The author enables a future generation to take a look back on the merits of a group of fearless pilots exploring the country and forming the basis for todays aviation in Brazil.
I wish the author all the best with his future studies on this theme and all the neccessary success with these books the aviation enthusiasts worldwide are waiting for."

As well as Ken Merrick´s presentation:

"This first volume of what hopefully will be a series, showcasing a unique collection of aircraft of German design that found their way to Brasil between the 1920s and the 1940s, is a long overdue acknowledgement to an historic era that has been sadly neglected by aviation historians. The author, through great persistence and meticulous research over many years, has assembled a sumptuous selection of aircraft types, designs and colour schemes that will satisfy the most demanding of aviation enthusiasts.

Here, for the first time, are rare examples of otherwise well-known German aircraft that have absorbed the attention of German aviation buffs for the last half-century. In addition, the reader will find unique types that were amongst the renaissance of German aviation after World War One; types that flourished briefly in that tenuous time period that was decimated by the great recession that bankrupted much of the western world at the end of the 1920s.

This is a rich indulgence of rare and unique photographic images of a lost period in German aviation history that will delight the reader, whether they be interested in the history of the period, a modeller, artist, or simply anyone with an interest in this period of aviation. The selection is delightfully bewildering in its scope and I commend the work wholeheartedly to all who are seeking something fresh from this period of aviation history."

Despite both text above being published in English the book´s text is in Portuguese only. Anyway we expect some day to have a complete downloadable English translation for the book.

Volume one has 199 pages with 391 photos, most of them never published before. It covers the following topics:

1 - Sailplanes.
2 - Phoenix-Flugzeugbau.
3 - Raab-Katzenstein.
4 - Heinkel.
5 - Bayerische Flugzeugwerk.
6 - Klemm.
7 - Bücker.
8 - Blohm und Voss.
9 - Brazilian Military Aeronautics Mission in Germany 1939.
10 - Focke Wulf.

I hope to release volume 2 in 2014 but can´t give a date. I´m still working to update the manuscript with new info and photos. This upcoming volume will cover only Dornier planes and volume 3 only Junkers planes.

Hugs to all.

Old 30th November 2013, 22:42
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Aviões Alemães no Brasil - German Aircrafts in Brasil Vol 1

Congratulations.

Best,
Ed
Old 1st December 2013, 01:13

Sergio Luis dos Santos

Thanks Ed!
Old 1st December 2013, 14:19

Peter Achs is on a distinguished road

Hi Sergio,

Sounds very interesting, especially Volume 3.

Regards
Peter
Old 1st December 2013, 16:48

Lennart Andersson

My copy is already on its way...

Lennart A
Old 1st December 2013, 17:02
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear you never went on to finish your Fw 58 project Sergio, but never the less congratulations from Sweden

From a military point of view, I believe the German impact in Brazil was rather minor, while on the civilian side it was far more decisive.

It is a pity the work is not bi-lingual since Portuguese is a bit down on my scale of understanding....and everybody is not such ace linguistics as Lennart!

Just for the sake of interest both to me and others, how is it procured? From where and what is it's cost including postage to Europe?

Cheers
Stig
Old 1st December 2013, 17:43

Sergio Luis dos Santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig Jarlevik View Post
Sorry to hear you never went on to finish your Fw 58 project Sergio, but never the less congratulations from Sweden

From a military point of view, I believe the German impact in Brazil was rather minor, while on the civilian side it was far more decisive.

It is a pity the work is not bi-lingual since Portuguese is a bit down on my scale of understanding....and everybody is not such ace linguistics as Lennart!

Just for the sake of interest both to me and others, how is it procured? From where and what is it's cost including postage to Europe?

Cheers
Stig

Stig, best way to obtain a copy is a direct purchase from me. I can accept paypal. In case you´re interested please send me a PM. Any other member from TOCH can also contact me via PM. Price in Brazilian Real is R$ 60,00 (so means less than USD 30.00) plus postage.

Hugs,
Old 1st December 2013, 17:44

Sergio Luis dos Santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Achs View Post
Hi Sergio,

Sounds very interesting, especially Volume 3.

Regards
Peter
What a nice photo from Vasp´s Cidade de Goiânia. It looks Peter Riedel the second from left.
Old 1st December 2013, 20:12

Peter Achs is on a distinguished road

No, this is Junkers test pilot Hans-Joachim Matthies. Three Men (far left, far right and with the bright coat) are from VASP.

Do you know the name Dominik Koscielny? He was for Junkers in Brazil. I have correspondence between him in Brazil and Junkers.

Regards
Peter
Old 2nd December 2013, 02:24
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Was similar cooperation occurring in Argentina? I would be interested in any book or article in any language. Thank you for the image, Peter.

Best,
Ed