Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 13th April 2014, 18:12
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: II.(Schlacht)Lehrgeschwader 2

Thank you Andreas.

You and Larry are two of the world's best in our peculiar field. Let's keep it going!
Old 13th April 2014, 20:22
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Andreas -

Alright, Andreas, now we are back on track. Sometimes things are lost in translation and even though they are well-meant, then can come out wrong at the other end. Let's drop everything except the subject at hand.

It is very probable that you have discovered items at BA-MA that I missed during my several two-week trips there nearly 25 years ago. As you said above, you found the Vorträge in a file one would no likely explore for Luftwaffe material. You were very fortunate to find those in that the Org.Abt. orders up to around mid-1943 seem to no longer exist, with a few exceptions here and there. At least that is what I found out for myself and what others have told me. Nor are they to be found in any archival repositories in Washington or Montgomery/Alabama in which I have spent months and months since 1977, about 15 years after I began researching the Luftwaffe.

As far as credentials are concerned, I don’t want to go through all of that again as I have posted it several times here on TOCH! before and it is also addressed to some degree in our books which, incidentally, were not intended to be the last word on the subject like Jochen Prien has done with the Jagdwaffe. Our books were intended to fill an intermediate level of interest in the subject and mainly from the operational standpoint, i.e., something more than Wolfgang Dierich’s old single volume Verbände der Luftwaffe but nowhere near the level of detail offered by Prien. So there may be a lot of omissions and some errors. That is all covered in the Introduction to the books.

So for now, I will accept that 10.(Schlacht)/LG 2 was ordered formed on 1 March 1941 either at Calais-Marck, Krainici (Kraynitsi)/44 km S of Sofia in Bulgaria or Braunschweig-Waggum by II.(Schlacht)/LG 2. But I still have a problem with its status with the Gruppe, i.e., attached or integrated. If it was integrated as an organic component of the Gruppe as you have stated then that would be, in my opinion, a quite unusual thing. Not impossible, just unusual.

Regards,

Larry
Old 14th April 2014, 17:55

steven1 is on a distinguished road

Hello Franck,

The Document which I have and raised a very interesting thread for me is The Iron Cross 2nd Class.
regards steven
Old 19th May 2014, 11:15

SR71Blackbird is on a distinguished road

Hello Forum!

There are some little correction to be made.
The Gruppenkommandeur Major Georg Spielvogel died on September 9th 1939 and not on the 13th.
And sorry, but not being to fancy, the correct abbreviation for II. Schlachtgruppe/Lehrgeschwader 2 ist II.(Schl.)/LG 2.

Greetings from Tutow, the Home of II.(Schl.)/LG 2
Heiko
Old 19th May 2014, 11:26
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road

Hello, Heiko

I agree that the abbreviated name should be what you say in your latest post.

The problem (or rather issue) is that the official documents remaining in the records of the Luftwaffe general staff uses these other variants of abbreviations.

So just to be able to quote directly from the reference I have used the naming as given in them.

Regards,
Andreas B
Old 19th May 2014, 11:47

SR71Blackbird is on a distinguished road

Hello Andreas!

You are quite right, as abbreviation like (S), (Sch) or (Schlacht) were used. Using the backslash on the wrong position would indicate a totally different unit, which didn't exist. II./(Schl.)LG 2 reading like Schlacht-Lehrgeschwader
But as I said before, I don't want to be to finicky. There is allways the possibilities of misspelling even in official documents.

Regards
Heiko
Old 19th May 2014, 20:58
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Tim O.

Relating to your earlier post in this thread, you said that you have documents on a 4 Staffel pilot SD and PoW on 29.10.40. Is this Ofw Josef Harmeling? We are doing a color profile of this a/c for the EoE Project, and I would appreciate knowing what kind of documents that you have on this pilot, as we always want to including bio/career info on pilots for which we do profiles.
Old 18th June 2014, 23:51

Tim O. is on a distinguished road

Hi Larry

Sorry, not been here for a while due to too much work. Yes it is Josef Harmeling and I have all his award certificates (EK2, EK1, Ehrenpokal, Fighter Clasp in Silver, Sudetanland Medal, Wound Badge in Black) letter confirming his capture, his Pilot Licence, letters from the Red Cross confirming him as POW and some pre war correspondence. I have copies from British Intelligence describing his interrogation too.

Regards
Tim O.
Old 22nd February 2015, 18:12

Brian R is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys - Does anyone have any reference to a Leutnant Rolf Claus of II. Gruppe? He was active in Poland in 1939 and the attack on the West in 1940.
Old 17th July 2017, 15:15

andrus is on a distinguished road

Hello,

does anybody known reasons for high losses of II./L.G.2 on 22. and 23. June 1941?
there is handwritten remark in loss list "22. +23.6. insges. 16 Bf 109 3 Hs 123".