Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Obituaries

Obituaries Please use this forum to post obituary listings and death notices.

Old 7th November 2014, 07:19

Andrew Arthy will become famous soon enoughAndrew Arthy will become famous soon enough
Alex Vanags-Baginskis

Hi,

Has anyone been in contact recently with aviation historian and translator Alex Vanags-Baginskis. Morten and I last corresponded with him in 2009, when he was living in London. I'd like to contact him again, but given his age, thought I should enquire about his well-being before doing so.

Cheers,
Andrew A.
Air War Publications - www.airwarpublications.com/earticles
Old 7th November 2014, 14:44
Alter Hase

DavidIsby will become famous soon enoughDavidIsby will become famous soon enough
Re: Alex Vanags-Baginskis

I regret to say that I do not believe that this gentleman is in a position to respond to communications.

I would be delighted to be proved wrong and that he has actually re-established his version of the Duchy of Courland's colony on the island on Grenada and is even now enjoying himself under the palms.
Old 8th November 2014, 06:03

Andrew Arthy will become famous soon enoughAndrew Arthy will become famous soon enough

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers,
Andrew A.
Air War Publications - www.airwarpublications.com/earticles
Old 26th November 2014, 22:05
Aloma Robertson

I am very sad to say that alex passed away last Sunday 23rd November and is greatly missed by us all. If there is anyone who is interested in any of his historic research on aviation aircraft please get in touch
Old 26th November 2014, 22:28
Aloma Robertson

Alex Vanags-Baginskis

Alex was born in Riga Latvia in 1927 and sadly passed away on 23rd November 2014. After the second world war he came to England and worked in the coalmines of mansfield. Later after arriving in London he worked as an editor for Janes Publishing for many years and was the author of such books as In The Skies of Europe and Stuka Ju87. His life was dedicated to the research and publication of historical WW2 aircraft. A highly knowledgeable man who will be greatly missed by many.
Old 28th November 2014, 20:17
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough

I am sorry to hear of his death. I had a very good contact with Alex back in nineties and enjoyed visiting him in the London area.

Regards,

John Manrho.
Old 28th November 2014, 22:50
Aloma Robertson

Alex Vanags-Baginskis will be cremated at The Croydon Crematorium, Mitcham Road, Croydon at 10.45 on Friday 12th December. Anyone wishing to attend would be more than welcome and afterwards at the Croydon Airport Aerodrome Hotel. Anyone requiring any further information please leave a message on this forum and I will gladly respond. His family would love to meet any of his old colleagues and friends
Old 1st December 2014, 13:37
Alter Hase

DavidIsby will become famous soon enoughDavidIsby will become famous soon enough

A gentleman, pilot, scholar and a fine editor. He will be missed.
Old 20th December 2014, 13:02

Bob Morritt is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately I just found out through your site that my good friend since 1967 Alex Vanagas-Baginskis has recently passed away. Up until last December Alex though quite ill sent his annual Christmas Card with the notation "letter to follow'. If his relatives or friend need to communicate with me I would be pleased to hear from them!Bob Morritt in Canada.
Old 20th December 2014, 13:48

Bob Morritt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloma Robertson View Post
Alex Vanags-Baginskis will be cremated at The Croydon Crematorium, Mitcham Road, Croydon at 10.45 on Friday 12th December. Anyone wishing to attend would be more than welcome and afterwards at the Croydon Airport Aerodrome Hotel. Anyone requiring any further information please leave a message on this forum and I will gladly respond. His family would love to meet any of his old colleagues and friends
I knew Alex since around 1967 or 1968,we have been in contact all these years, even after I returned to Canada so many years ago. Alex was a wealth of Aviation knowledge pertaining to the Eastern front and the Luftwaffe of whom he was a member. I was saddened to accidently stumble on this obituary on the internet, I only remarked this week to my wife, Alex's Christmas card (he never missed sending it all these years) should arrive any day. To his friends and son and daughter my deepest sympathy, a long term friend very much missed....Bob Morritt in Ontario, Canada.