Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 20th May 2005, 07:09

NickM
Unit History for VMF-213

I am wondering if there is a good unit history "out there" for VMF-213, a Corsair equipped Marine Corp Fighter unit that fought in the Solomons; I was reading Bruce Gamble's great history of VMF-214, 'The Blacksheep' & got the impression that the 213th was slightly less successful & somewhat more battered than other Corsair units...of course my impressions could be wrong but I am still interested in reading about a slightly less glamorous unit doing it's duty.

thanks, ahead of time;

NickM
Old 21st May 2005, 03:19

Jim Oxley is on a distinguished road
Re: Unit History for VMF-213

I haven't come across one. But if you can get your hands on a copy of the superb "History Of Marine Corps Aviation In WWII" by Robert Sherrod, then almost all your questions will be answered. You will need to search the net for a second hand copy. It's long been out of print.

The book is the bible on the subject.
Old 21st May 2005, 06:29

fsbofk is on a distinguished road

Don't know of a unit history either, but if Corsairs are your thing, then I highly recommend a 3-DVD set called F4U Corsair by Aircraft Films http://www.aircraftfilms.com/f4ucorsair.htm This is a compilation of about 6 hours of Corsairs from WWII to Korea, much of it in color, lots of carrier landing sequences (and some crashes), in-flight formations, lot of taxiing and takeoffs from various bases. It has about 8 minutes of footage of VMF-213 on Henderson Field in June 1943, showing gun harmonizing, engine maintenance, pilots walking by the camera & looking at roster board, fly-bys, and propellor maintenance. Great stuff.
Old 21st May 2005, 19:49
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Oxley
But if you can get your hands on a copy of the superb "History Of Marine Corps Aviation In WWII" by Robert Sherrod, then almost all your questions will be answered. You will need to search the net for a second hand copy. It's long been out of print.

The book is the bible on the subject.
Damn you!

Another book on the way and another difficult explanation to the spouse!

Found a first edition on the net at a sharp price (supposedly good binding, but fair dustcover...we'll get over that) at only $ 15,- (ex. shipping, which always comes near the selling price).

Thanks for the tip.

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 21st May 2005, 20:24

fsbofk is on a distinguished road

Also, try looking for a non-first edition. Mine was published in 1987 by Nautical & Aviation Publishing Co. Should be less than the 1952 edition (unless you're a book collector, like me, and might want the first!)
Old 22nd May 2005, 03:29

JeffK

Just some little bits, late war.

http://www.airgroup4.com/marines.htm

http://www.scuttlebuttsmallchow.com/winnia.html

Maybe some of the links could take you further.

Last edited by JeffK; 22nd May 2005 at 03:34.
Old 22nd May 2005, 04:30
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

The second edition of Robert Sherrod's History of Marine Corps Aviation in WW2 has a new introduction, and a short article I did updating the information on USMC aces. But if you have Stars and Bars you have far more information than appeared on the aces in the short update.

Frank.