Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Games and Simulations

Games and Simulations Please use this forum to review or discuss games and simulations.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31st March 2005, 20:15
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation
Where PC simulation meets serious research...

...or how Ferdinando D'Amico and Gabriele Valentini made good use of a flight sim!

I'll make no secret of it, I like flight sims, more accurately I like combat (flight) sims. To my surprise I found that certain a/c profiles in their latest ANR book are actually 3d models from the flight sim series IL2 Sturmovik / Forgotten Battles, by Russian developer Oleg Maddox and published by Ubisoft.

It is interesting how this synergy is growing stronger.

Flight sim models are getting more accurate every day, both their shape and performance, it is not surprising that their camouflage and markings are following suit. It may be arguable, but at some level these game / sim developers may actually catching up with serious researchers when it comes to the understanding of historic combat a/c in many aspects of their design and operational use. Their particular work may even be said to bridge the separate disciplines of serious research (structure, camouflage and markings or operational use).

Some time ago I was offered the use of mid level 3d (game) models of a number of a/c to use for profiles, but I didn't dare to use them, in part for fear of ridicule (these models although mid level are actually very good and wouldn't shame a book cover or any game - actually they are still being used in a game today ).

It appears to me that these games are not so "gamey" anymore and finally growing up.

Couldn't help myself but I just had to break the ice

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;