Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation after the Second World War.

Old 3rd July 2013, 10:57
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road
Re: FAA Korean war losses

Nokose,
Many thanks for bringing this to our attention. It is now on order, and eagerly awaited. Published by Helion, due Aug 1 in the US and July 15 in the UK. I really hope it comes out on time. Amazon.com lists delivery to me in the period Sept 5 to 11.

SAAF: South Africa's Flying Cheetahs in Korea, by Dermot Moore & Peter Bagshawe, published by Ashanti. 1991. Out of print, but copies are listed on addall.com; some even at reasonable prices.

SAAF: 2 Squadron in Korea: "Flying Cheetahs" 1950-1953, by Winston Brent, published by Freeworld. 2001. Out of print, can't find any on addall.com. Contains a list of losses, with descriptions.

In the past the ORB and Combat Reports for 77 RAAF Sqn were available on microfilm from the RAAF Historical Office. Start with http://airpower.airforce.gov.au/Cont...l-Records.aspx

Enjoy!

Frank.

Last edited by Frank Olynyk; 3rd July 2013 at 14:18. Reason: Add delivery information.
Old 3rd July 2013, 20:13
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road

Hello Frank,
I would have thought that you would have known of this site -
http://www.dtic.mil/dpmo/korea/repor...rwald_afct.htm
Gives all known losses I beleive.
All the best
Alex
Old 3rd July 2013, 21:48

Paul Thompson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokose View Post
There is a translation coming out on 01 Aug 2013 called "Red Devils over the Yalu: A chronicle of Soviet aerial operations in the Korean War 1950-53" by Igor Seidov which is in paperback and 712 pages.
Hello Nokose,

A friend of mine has read the Russian original and says that the text is rather polemical and confusing. He also says that another Russian writer, Tsurkaev, is a better source on this subject. Can you give your opinion on the matter?

Regards,

Paul Thompson
Old 3rd July 2013, 21:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Olynyk View Post
SAAF: South Africa's Flying Cheetahs in Korea, by Dermot Moore & Peter Bagshawe, published by Ashanti. 1991. Out of print, but copies are listed on addall.com; some even at reasonable prices.

SAAF: 2 Squadron in Korea: "Flying Cheetahs" 1950-1953, by Winston Brent, published by Freeworld. 2001. Out of print, can't find any on addall.com. Contains a list of losses, with descriptions.
Hello Frank,

Thank you very much for this information. Does the first book contain any loss data?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Smart View Post
Hello Frank,
I would have thought that you would have known of this site -
http://www.dtic.mil/dpmo/korea/repor...rwald_afct.htm
Gives all known losses I beleive.
All the best
Alex
Hello Alex,

As James wrote about the FAA in the first post, "They lost a lot more aircraft and aircrew than what were documented in Korwald". The authors of the Osprey duel book about the Sabre and MiG-15 also criticise Korwald, in their case for lack of clarity in loss descriptions for USAF aircraft. That's the reason why other sources are needed.

Regards,

Paul Thompson
Old 4th July 2013, 01:37
Alter Hase

Nokose will become famous soon enough

Sorry Paul, I haven't read any sources on the Soviet fighters in the Korean War but hoping this one has update notes in English. The translator is suppose to be very good from what I've read. Still waiting for a non-bias history of the Chinese and North Korean air forces to come to light. As the Russians were military advisors maybe they will be able to come out with that.
Old 4th July 2013, 04:48
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

Nokose,
Douglas C Dildy has published a nine part series (so far) in Small Air Forces Observer, titled The Korean People's Air Force in the Fatherland Liberation War. Part 9 in the just issued July 2013 issue takes the story up to early June 1952. It has five pages of text, a page of photographs, and a page with an order of battle for Nov 1951. It is covering both the North Korean and Chinese efforts, and includes Russian context. The series started in Vol 35 No 1. Website is http://safch.org/

Enjoy!

Frank.
Old 4th July 2013, 13:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokose View Post
Sorry Paul, I haven't read any sources on the Soviet fighters in the Korean War but hoping this one has update notes in English. The translator is suppose to be very good from what I've read. Still waiting for a non-bias history of the Chinese and North Korean air forces to come to light. As the Russians were military advisors maybe they will be able to come out with that.
Hello Nokose,

OK, I understand. I'll give you additional details about the other author as and when I am able to establish them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Olynyk View Post
Nokose,
Douglas C Dildy has published a nine part series (so far) in Small Air Forces Observer, titled The Korean People's Air Force in the Fatherland Liberation War.
Hello Frank,

That's amazing, I've never heard of this magazine, but the sample issue shows that it's excellent. Thank you for spreading the knowledge!

Regards,

Paul Thompson
Old 5th July 2013, 01:01
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road

Hello Frank,
There is also the book by Graham Thomas, "Furies and Fireflies over Korea the story of the men of the FAA,RAF & Commonwealth who Defended South Korea, 1950-1953", published by Grub Street.
Alex
Old 5th July 2013, 01:36

James A Pratt III is on a distinguished road

I have read Furies and Fireflies" it does have some information on 77 sqn RAAF but is not as good as "With the carriers in Korea". "Furies and Fireflies" does have some personal accounts of not in "With the Carriers in Korea". Ther is also a internet site that deals with B-29s during the Korean war that mentions a number of B-29 losses not mentioned in Korwald. There is also an osprey book on VVS Mig-15s during the Korean war.
Old 5th July 2013, 14:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Smart View Post
Hello Frank,
There is also the book by Graham Thomas, "Furies and Fireflies over Korea the story of the men of the FAA,RAF & Commonwealth who Defended South Korea, 1950-1953", published by Grub Street.
Alex
Hello Alex,

Thank you, I think this thread has become a very good bibliography of sources. I'll try to keep it going!

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A Pratt III View Post
I have read Furies and Fireflies" it does have some information on 77 sqn RAAF but is not as good as "With the carriers in Korea". "Furies and Fireflies" does have some personal accounts of not in "With the Carriers in Korea". Ther is also a internet site that deals with B-29s during the Korean war that mentions a number of B-29 losses not mentioned in Korwald. There is also an osprey book on VVS Mig-15s during the Korean war.
Hello James,

Thank you for adding those details. As for the Internet site, do you mean the site below?
http://home.comcast.net/~b29sintheko...MasterList.htm

The publisher link for the Osprey book is below. This has allowed me to establish the name of that other Russian author, it's Yuriy Tepsurkaev. In a very strange twist, he is listed as the illustrator, not the author, of the Osprey title!
http://www.ospreypublishing.com/stor..._9781846032998

Here's an old article about B-29s in Korea I found in the process of looking for the B-29 loss list:
http://www.historynet.com/korean-war...he-air-war.htm

Regards,

Paul Thompson

Last edited by Paul Thompson; 5th July 2013 at 14:52. Reason: B-29 second link added