Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 9th September 2009, 11:01

Peter Cornwell is on a distinguished road
Finding The Few

Andy Saunders' name will be already well known to regular visitors to this forum. His latest book Finding The Few (Grub Street 2009) is another tour de force from this popular author/historian that offers fascinating insights into the background to many of the more celebrated (some would say notorious) cases involving the British aviation archaeology movement over recent years. High production values, richly illustrated throughout, this is a well-written and cogent book in the investigative style for which Andy is rightly acknowledged. I commend it & recommend it.
Old 10th September 2009, 15:32
Alter Hase

Andy Saunders is on a distinguished road
Re: Finding The Few

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Cornwell View Post
Andy Saunders' name will be already well known to regular visitors to this forum. His latest book Finding The Few (Grub Street 2009) is another tour de force from this popular author/historian that offers fascinating insights into the background to many of the more celebrated (some would say notorious) cases involving the British aviation archaeology movement over recent years. High production values, richly illustrated throughout, this is a well-written and cogent book in the investigative style for which Andy is rightly acknowledged. I commend it & recommend it.
Peter

I am greatly appreciative of your kind comments.

Might I say that you played no small part in enthusing me in the period of 1940 with your ground breaking and (to me as a mere whipper-snapper!) absolutely mind blowing research and knowledge of the period. This was all pre the internet and pre Battle of Britain Then & Now and I will always fondly recall our meets - often at Ye Felbridge, East Grinstead - to pore over the latest "new" Battle of Britain photos and to swap and exchange photographs and data. Heady days! That, coupled with the pioneering field work on some very early 1940 "digs" ensured I was hooked on the subject for life.

Whilst some might consider your role in fostering my enthusiasm to be a somewhat mixed blessing, I would like to raise a glass to you for the role you often unwittingly played in inspiring me. So, thank you Peter!

Now that the mutual back-slapping is out of the way I am looking forward to sharing some fine wine with you in the battlefields of France this very weekend!

Thank you again for your kind words about the book. Glad you are enjoying it!
Old 14th April 2010, 13:41

SpitfireZPC is on a distinguished road

I have just started to read this book and I'm finding it really enjoyable. This is a side to the 'battle of britain' that I am unfamiliar with so I'm finding it very interesting. I can only imagine how hard this was to research, so I commend you Andy, on a job well done.

Best,

Chris
Old 15th April 2010, 10:31
Alter Hase

Andy Saunders is on a distinguished road

I greatly appreciate your comments, Chris.

Currently working on its companion volume "Finding The Foe" which will be out by July this year.
Old 15th April 2010, 14:30

SpitfireZPC is on a distinguished road

Brilliant, I'll look forward to it!