Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 24th March 2021, 20:09

SteveR is on a distinguished road
Re: 11 January 1944 mission (Oschersleben)

Apologies for having forgotten about this thread for so long!

Alfred, I finished reading Hitler's Last Christmas back in January. There's really nothing from the German side; no Luftwaffe primary source documents are listed in the bibliography. Sourcing in general for this book seems quite thin and the bibliography lists numerous secondary sources that seem to have a tenuous, at best, relevance to the subject at hand. It struck me as a student trying to pad the sources they used for a term paper.

Due to this and a number of other reasons I would not recommend this book at all.
Old 24th March 2021, 21:40

SteveR is on a distinguished road

superbee, apologies to you as well!

Two other books (besides Dugan and Stewart) I've got on Ploesti (Operation Tidal Wave) are Into the Fire by Duane Schultz and Black Sunday: Ploesti by Michael Hill. Neither are new and it's been many years since I read them. I don't remember either having much on "the other side"; my memory is that each emphasized different aspects from the American side and that when added to Dugan and Stewart's work the American side is probably completely covered.

Regarding the others you mentioned:

Someone else here on the ToCH forum said that The Kassel Raid has nothing from the German side. I don't have it.

I spoke of Hitler's Last Christmas on the post above this one. Can't recommend it.

Battle Under the Moon doesn't include the German side IIRC (it is covered very well in Theo Boiten's Nachtjagd Combat Archive 1944 Part 2). The author, Currie, completed a tour as a Lancaster pilot and wrote quite engagingly so I still heartily recommend this one.

Again IIRC, The Münster Raid has little or nothing on the German side.

Heroic Endeavor, Night of the Intruders, To Kingdom Come, Mighty By Sacrifice: All include the German side to a greater or lesser extent and all are quite good IMO.

And as Nick Beale pointed out, Target Berlin and everything Middlebrook wrote include both sides nearly equally and all are worth having IMO.

Though late, I hope this helps.
Old 24th March 2021, 23:17

Alfred.MONZAT will become famous soon enough

Thank you, it helps indeed.

I just ordered Mighty by Sacrifice and Heroic Endeavor.