Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 15th April 2021, 03:37

Jayhammond is on a distinguished road
Question Martin Drewes Abschussmeldung May 13/44

Hello

I realize this is a long shot but I am trying to find the Abschussmeldung for Martin for the early morning victories he scored on May 13, 1944. My uncle who was flying Halifax Mk III LW682 OW-M was shot down near Geraardsbergen, Belgium and was Martin’s third victim. Maybe there are collectors out there or other folks who have managed to get their hands on some of the III./NJG 1 records. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Jay Hammond
Old 15th April 2021, 10:38
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Re: Martin Drewes Abschussmeldung May 13/44

Jay Hammond, good morning.

I met Martin twice here in Brazil, in 1996; before he published his own memoirs both in German and in Portuguese language.

He told me that he ordered and supervised the burial of the III Gruppe NJG 1 archives and documents under a tree, close to Husum, by the end of the war, to not falling onto Allied hands by the surrender (1945).

I personally doubt if the Official Records of his Gruppe survived...but at the RLM copies of his Abschüssmeldungs may have survived.

When I visited him, he showed me the video recorded on the occasion that LW682 wreckage and remains were found and told me there was "animosity" against him this day. I understand both sides...but he was invited and came along to pay his homage, as an Aviator, to the former enemies.

I invited the family of a German Ace who shot down a Brazilian Aviator shot down as well to a Cerimony held in 2019; which of course the German Family never answered back (and then, later I found the Brazilian Family would not like this kind of encounter - luckily for me who was helping organizing/paving the way to the meeting).

Hope you will be successful (check with Dr. Theo Boithen or other Dutch Historians) in finding this document.

I remain, must humbly yours,
Adriano Silva Baumgartner, ASV 00.344
Old 16th April 2021, 04:52

Jayhammond is on a distinguished road

Adriano

Thank you for your prompt and informative reply. I’m sure Walter Scheel has passed on so I don’t know of any III./NJG personnel who might know the whereabouts of where near Husum the files were buried. Maybe someone with a lot of time, a metal detector and a shovel (not to mention an ample supply of luck) could do something. Perhaps a call out to the magazine for German fliers and their former ground crew. A wild guess.

So Theo, in all your years of searching various German archives, especially Freiburg, have you ever come across any III./NJG 1 material? I’m grasping at straws now.

Cheers to both of you.
Jay
Old 16th April 2021, 09:02
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Suggest you PM Theo as he might not see this post
Old 16th April 2021, 09:25

Marcel Hogenhuis will become famous soon enough

Hello Jay,

The Bundesarchiv Freiburg (under signature RL 10/541 when I remember it correctly) has some material of the III./NJG 1 including a claimlist of its pilots. I do have a copy of this claimlist.

I doubt whether someone will make an attempt to check each tree in the vicinity of Husum whether an archival treasure is hidden there.

Good hunt ! Best regards, Marcel
Old 16th April 2021, 10:12
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhammond View Post
Perhaps a call out to the magazine for German fliers and their former ground crew. A wild guess.
Jay
Chances are slim. Anyone who served at the end of the war was probably born before about 1927, so would be at least 93 years old now if he still lived.
Old 16th April 2021, 13:03
Alter Hase

Jay,

Please do let me ask why the Abschüssmeldung for this claim, which was clearly (it is documented and had been cross-checked and positively identified) recorded by Drewes' crew is so essential? To determine the time or type of attack?

I do not remember by heart if he mentioned this victory onto his memories...if you are able to read German, maybe you can find his book in German language. The portuguese version is almost non-existent anymore and the prices sought for those books are extremely high nowadays.

Have you met him personally when the wreck was excavated ?

I remember quite clearly what he said to me, regarding this particular loss and the meeting on a lunch at his home town. Can send to you privately if you do wish so.

A.
Old 16th April 2021, 13:16
Alter Hase

Jay,

Contact me at: baumgartner_asv@yahoo.com.br
Old 16th April 2021, 14:15
Alter Hase

ju55dk will become famous soon enough

There is nothing except a Photoalbum 1942 left in Bundesarchiv RL 10, about III/NJG 1. Only I. and II. Gruppe.

Junker
Old 17th April 2021, 11:29
Alter Hase

ClinA-78 is on a distinguished road

Just a feeling,

As a late youngster, I attended the recovery of "M for Mother" and the burial (meeting also briefly Martin Drewes), another moving event leading me to my nowadays researches.

ClinA-78