Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 7th December 2005, 14:04
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation
Chronicles versus Thruthseeking

Quote:
Brian wrote: reason I mention this is that American historian/author Dan Ford was highly critical of my 'Buffaloes over Singapore' because it was full of first-hand accounts (gathered over many years of painstaking research and dedication to seeking the truth) - and did not contain my personal opinions and conclusions. I didn't respond to him at the time - but should he read this - hard cheese! I will continue my style and he can continue his! Fair dues! Here endeth the sermon. You may or may not agree with me - perhaps you'll let me know. I can take criticism (I hope!!)
Dan Ford's own AVG book did go one step further in certain areas.

To me it illustrated obvious parallels with later US involvement in South East Asia, incl. the role / influence of Chennault. If correct, US involvement in China would probably have escalated to a war with Japan within a few years anyway. Now that sort of material would not appear in a more chronicle style history book. His book tries to stimulate critical thought, which IMHO is important (even if you do not agree).

The AVG was not a regular outfit and became a source of legend, as such it needs a more critical approach, call it an author who is prepared to be judge and jury, to give the subject any substance.

I do not agree with all of Ford's assessments, but overall his approach is as valued as a chronicle style book, but perhaps that extra step does give it more punch.

It all boils down to the old dilemma of recording versus judging.

My personal taste tends to prefer a healthy mix, where the author records without any judgement, until he reaches the end of his chronicle (or at the beginning) where he has room (or obligation) to to provide a framework, the glue which binds the chronicle, and conclusion (or introduction). If the subject needs a criticle appraisal, there may be a need to judge.

Just some thoughts, no critique!

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 7th December 2005, 20:31
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road
Re: Chronicles versus Thruthseeking

Thanks Ruy - I couldn't have put it any better!

Cheers
Brian
Old 8th December 2005, 05:25

NickM
Re: A question RE: Shore's 'Air War for Burma'

Brian:

No worries! I am quite fond of Ford's book on the AVG but his style of writing is very different from the yours & the rest of the 'Grub Street Bunch'; what can I say? I like both ways of writing;

NickM

PS: Keep 'em coming!
Old 9th December 2005, 04:04

Six Nifty .50s

First-hand accounts by pilots are vital and often contain useful information that will not be found elsewhere, even if certain perceptions of the moment, in the heat of battle, were sometimes inaccurate.

I'm about half way through Spitfires Over Malta and as you might expect, I took a special interest in Appendix VI which was a nice touch. I had no idea that so many Americans flew Spitfires from Malta in 1942! I managed to land a copy of 249 at War which is not easy to find here. Although I have not counted the total number that served in that unit, I was again surprised to see names of Americans that were previously unknown to me.
Old 10th December 2005, 11:01

alex crawford

Hi Brian,

Excellent, I look forward to your new book. A quick glance at my library shows I have 9 of your previous books, all well researched and written.

Buffaloes over Singapore is my latest addition. It has a lot of info I diddn't know about, well done.

Alex