Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 27th February 2019, 16:52
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Lancaster B.III, serial ED998, coded PO*Y - Looking for picture

Dear all,

I am currently finishing and polishing the biography of Wing Commander Cosme Lockwood Gomm, D.S.O., D.F.C. (RAFO 34123) who was born in Brazil (Curitiba, Paraná State – like Clostermann and Hauptmann Egon Albrecht) and was the first O.C. of Nº 467 (RAAF) Squadron.

Gomm and his crew died onboard of the Avro Lancaster B.III serial number ED998, coded PO*Y which we would like to obtain a photograph.

This particular machine was flown, at some time or another, between May and August 1943, by the following Captains and members of Nº 467 Squadron (so maybe at least ONE picture of it do exist - which we are trying to find, to add to this biography): F/Sgt Harder or Rarder, F/O Carrington, P/O Good, F/Sgt Vincent, S/L Lewis, DFC.

ANY picture of ED998 is most welcomed onto this Biography and will be fully credited onto this work, as well as any additional pictures that relatives of members of Nº 467 Squadron or Nº 77 Squadron may have of Cosme Lockwood Gomm.

Contact about the project: baumgartner_asv@yahoo.com.br

Adriano S. Baumgartner, ASV 00.344
Old 27th February 2019, 17:30
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Lancaster B.III, serial ED998, coded PO*Y - Looking for picture

Cool stuff Adriano. BTW, while going through the LW officer database, I found a Luftwaffe fighter pilot who flew with JG-77 who was born in Rio de Janeiro. This is the data:

[B]MÜHLEISE, Eduard. (DOB: 01.08.23 in Rio de Janeiro/Brazil). 01.06.43 promo to Lt. 19.02.44 Lt., 6./JG 77. 20.03.44 Lt., Stafü of 6./JG 77. 18.04.44 Lt., 6./JG 77. 1944 appt Adj. II./JG 77. 13.06.44 Lt., II./JG 77. 20.07.44 Lt., II./JG 77. 21.09.44 Lt., Stab III./JG 77 POW vic Arnhem - Bf 109 G-6/U4 (Black <) shot down by aircraft vic Arnhem. Credited with 7 victories.

Have you heard of this fighter pilot? He may have returned to Brasil after the war.
Old 27th February 2019, 17:58
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

KAKI3152,

This is a new name of Brazilian in Luftwaffe, at least for me.

EGON ALBRECHT is the most known here, after the article of Sergio Luis dos Santos was published on a magazine...and of course, Albrecht won the RK and was, as Gomm, a Test Pilot (at Rechlin), at some time on his career.

There was another pilot with NAGr 13 I guess....who was shot down too....but this one is new for me...and an ACE too! Will have a check down here, trying to find more...

I know one Family who did have another Fighter pilot with JG 27, but the guy was born in Germany...and the members late came to Brazil, probably after the war, so not a genuine born Brazilian.

I guess that someone in Rio de Janeiro is writing a full biography of Hauptmann Egon Albrecht....

My focus (some 120 biographies and more than 1,600 written pages) have been during the last 7 years, the Brazilians and Anglo-Brazilians (born in England or elsewhere) that sailed to enlist from Brazil (whose fathers were working here) in RAF Service (and RAAF, RCAF, SAAF)...Of those, some were DFC winners, some DFM; but only Gomm (and Clostermann it seems so) did won the DSO in RAF Service, in WW2.

Thank you for sharing that information with me...I do have the LW Database from Zeng and all, but really forgot to check for Brazilians there!!

Cheerio,
Adriano S. Baumgartner

By the way, the Biography of Gomm, like that of Captain Gordon Fox Rule, DFC, CdG* (Our Greatest Ace of WW1) is NON COMMERCIAL, I mean, I will NOT claim any penny for me...it will be probably edited privately in 2 volumes...
Old 28th February 2019, 08:22

MW Giles is on a distinguished road

Picture of crashed tail section of ED998 in Nachtjagd Combat Archive 1943 Part 2 on page 61

Speak to Theo Boiten, he may be able to give you a copy, or at least tell you where he got it - it is listed as from collection of Vincent Holyoak, via Horst Jeckel

Regards

Martin
Old 28th February 2019, 08:27
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

I believe he has the crash photo but is looking for a pre-crash photo
Old 1st March 2019, 22:03
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

A poor quality photo. Perhaps the owner of the site has an original where something more can be seen.

https://www.backtonormandy.org/the-h...943-08-16.html
Old 1st March 2019, 23:40

MW Giles is on a distinguished road

Very poor photo as that is a Lancaster Mk II with Hercules engines!

Regards

Martin
Old 1st March 2019, 23:54
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

Thank you, Martin.

Ed
Old 2nd March 2019, 02:28

alieneyes1 is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately, that photograph is used by the backtonormandy site for any Lancaster loss.

For example: https://www.backtonormandy.org/the-h...944-02-16.html
Old 9th March 2019, 08:30

Faenor is on a distinguished road

Hi Adriano,

check this link - there is Grom´crew before the Lancaster, but the serial number is not visible

http://www.bottesfordhistory.org.uk/...tesford-airman

But I have in my collection for this crew this imagine - probably same time, same location and same plane - and letter is visible - but it is probably V and not Y.
http://bombercrew467squadron.co.uk/ruhr.html

Faenor

Last edited by Faenor; 9th March 2019 at 09:12.