Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation after the Second World War.

Old 12th May 2010, 15:10

Mysticpuma is on a distinguished road
Requesting dates of Lt.Col Ed Heller and Cpt. Dolph Overton Victories in F-86?

Hello.

I wonder if anyone has details of the dates of Lt.Col Ed Heller and Cpt. Dolph Overton Victories in F-86 Sabre in the Korean War.

Now, I have managed to find out that Cpt. Overton downed 5 Mig's between Wednesday Jan 21st 1953 and Saturday 24th 1953 and that he downed at-least one on each of the days Wed, Thur, Fri and Sat. I am having difficulty finding out on which day he downed Two?

Next is Ed Heller, who I only have information of 3.5 Victories and that he was made POW on Jan 23rd 1953 after being shot down from 40,000 feet. I cannot find dates of his victories and wonder if anyone is able to help me with any of the above details?

Thanks for your time, MP
Old 12th May 2010, 23:18
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road
Re: Requesting dates of Lt.Col Ed Heller and Cpt. Dolph Overton Victories in F-86?

The easiest way to check dates for USAS/USAAF/USAF victory credits is at the AF Historical Research Agency. Their online database is at http://www.au.af.mil/au/afhra/avc.asp
This will give you date, rank, unit. For Korea and later it will give you the type claimed. It will not give you location or time.

There is no similar online database for USN or USMC claims.

Frank.
Old 13th May 2010, 13:53
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough
Re: Requesting dates of Lt.Col Ed Heller and Cpt. Dolph Overton Victories in F-86?

MP,

I'm sure that you've read elsewhere that some of Overton's victories almost weren't credited to him because Heller and he had crossed the Yalu River.
A nice recognition story for another of Overton's feats here: http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/20...fa_dsc_091909/

Regards,

Leendert
Old 13th May 2010, 16:45

Mysticpuma is on a distinguished road

Thank you Frank. Of-course, I can't believe I never even considered that route, and it came up with all the information I needed.

Leendert, I hadn't seen that post, so many thanks too for your input.

Cheers, MP
Old 3rd September 2010, 03:21

Daniel Nole is on a distinguished road

LtCol Heller "official" final score was 3.5 MiGs , actually 3 PLAAF MiGs the 17 Nov, 7 Dec and the last one the 22 Jan 1953. The second was shared with G. Woodworth. I dont have information of the last kill, maybe the USAF give this last in the day of his final missión, the 23th January, but is really a overclaim. Three MiGs were losses this day(2 V-VS, 1 PLAAF) and the victors were : Harold Fisher, Dolphin D. Overton and Harold J. Herrick.

He was shot down in this missión by Sr. Lt. Ivan I.Karpov of the 913 IAP. Some instants after his kill, Karpov was also shot down by Harold Fisher. He ejected and fall in the vicinity of Ben’sikhu. Heller last mission was with the F-86F-1 51-2871.

Daniel Nole
Old 3rd September 2010, 11:01

Daniel Nole is on a distinguished road

About LtCol Dolph Overton , he scored doubles two times: The Jan 21 and the Jan 24 , all PLAAF MiGs. His admitted final score is six MiGs(five PLAAF and one V-VS), but the USAF confirmed him officially only five kills.

Daniel Nole
Old 8th September 2010, 01:49

James A Pratt III is on a distinguished road

See also the air combat information group site