Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th October 2008, 01:42

obdl3945 is on a distinguished road
Pre-war training unit codes

Hello...

Any chance someone may be able to help me out with this query?

According to Alain Fleuret's Luftwaffe Camouflage 1935-40 (Kookabura), p76, he states that on 1 June 1936, as part of the general recoding of all Luftwaffe machines, training units were henceforth coded with an 'S' (Schule) as their new code prefix, the example given being S7+B96. This stood for aircraft 96 within the Schule, Flight 'B' (2nd Flight) of the training school, within Luftkreis 7, HQ at Braunschweig. He continues by indicating that within the same given school, both the old number system and the new letter/number combination could be seen in use.

Given the above interpretation of S7+B96, I am a little confused about two pictures I have seen, one of a Ju52 coded S17+B01 and the other a He111B coded S13+D23. Although I understand the mechanics of the above 'S7' code, these other two codes do not fit the rule, as there was not a 13th or 17th Luftkreis.

So, my question is: are these two codes examples of a hybrid style, perhaps? Could S17+B01 actually mean aircraft '1' of Flight 'B', within the seventh unit (in this case a Schule) of Luftkreis 1, HQ at Königsberg, with the code being prefixed with 'S' to indicate its training status? Similarly, therefore, S13+D23 could perhaps mean aircraft 23, Flight 'D' of the third unit within Luftkreis 1.

I admit I'm guessing, but it is an intruiging puzzle. Any thoughts...?

Regards...
Old 5th October 2008, 11:40

Peter D Evans is on a distinguished road
Re: Pre-war training unit codes

We have a thread on Pre-war Luftkreiskommando five-character code system here - and reproduced below is my understanding of the training codes:

Quote:
Trainer Markings

A similar system was introduced by training units and was used until the introduction of the four letter Sktz codes in October 1939.

1st letter S = Schule (School)
2nd number = Luftkreigskommando
3rd letter = Staffel within the Schule
4th, 5th and even 6th number - individual aircraft number within the Schule

S2+??? Luftkreiskommando II
S5+??? Luftkreiskommando V
S6+??? Luftkreiskommando VI
S7+??? Luftkreiskommando VII
S13+??? unknown
S17+??? unknown
Online source
* Anhang I, Kennzeichen ab 1936/37 bis 1938/39 from http://www.luftarchiv.de

Published sources
* Luftwaffe Camouflage & Markings 1935-45, volume 1 [K.Merrick, Kookaburra 1973]
* Luftwaffe Camouflage 1935-40 [A.Fleuret, Kookaburra, 1981]
* Luftwaffe Camouflage & Markings 1933-45, volume 2 [K.Merrick, Classic, 2005]

cheers
Peter D Evans
LEMB Administrator
Old 5th October 2008, 12:57

Hello, Peter...

Thanks for the information. I am acquainted with the www.luftarchiv.de site, although I have discovered new areas within the site that I never knew were there... !

Sadly, the reasoning for the unusual coding I am enquiring about seems not to be covered, and will have to remain a mystery for the time being. A lot of the other information was already know to me, but it is extremely well presented for others who are perhaps not as conversant. Definitely a website to be recommended, although curious minds should ideally have a better knowledge of the German language than myself, given that the bulk of the information is in German, with only the menus having an option of English.

I was, however, very interested to see an apparent link to www.stammkennzeichen.de, an archive of the four-character alphabetic codings, but sadly was unable to access this. Would you know if it is available, or is it work in hand...?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply... much appreciated...

Regards...
Old 5th October 2008, 13:45
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

Hi Obdl3945,

The (abowe) latter link is reserved for ´friends´ of that website (my applicaion for access sill goes unanswered, so I recon I am not in the elite group) but the LEMB Stkz. website contains much also.

My understanding of prewar-codes is limited but many (i.e. S17+M22) may have been latter time version of the old system. These codes were still used AFTER the usual Stkz. codes came into use. Examples are Ju 86 S17+N17 of LNS 4 crashed in 10.1940, Ju 86 S17+M20 and S17+M22 (ex-LNS Königgratz) but with KGrzbV 21 both gone missing (Pitomink) in December 1942.

Hope this helps.

Best regards
ed

Last edited by edNorth; 5th October 2008 at 13:47. Reason: Typo.
Old 5th October 2008, 14:08

Peter D Evans is on a distinguished road

Hi again obdl3945...

The whole issue with these pre-war codes is still an area that has more questions than answers, hence my thread on the LEMB. So open and free discussion here and elsewhere on these and other code questions will hopefully provide an answer - one day anyway

As for the additional link you provided, I too am not deemed "reliable and trusty" [Bert's words, not mine) to have access to the resource, so cannot answer your question...

cheers
Peter D Evans
LEMB Administrator
Old 5th October 2008, 14:34

Ed...

Thanks for your postings. I have, in a sense, answered my own question, as I now know (prior to your posting) that you have to register to access the www.stammkennzeichen.de website. I had an horrendous time trying just to register, as it kept rejecting e-mail addresses (including a newly-created one), password, usernames and my home address details, which are written in a different order in this country to that on the continent; that alone was a minefield... I have sent a mail to the moderator requesting assistance, but following your comments, best not to hold my breath, eh...

I took a look in at the LEMB site and that seems quite comprehensive, so when I have some spare time, I'll look into that further.

I note, however, that the two examples you've provided, are both 'S17' codings, and both originally from Luftnachrichten Schulen... do we see a pattern developing here...

Anyway, thanks again for your input.

Regards...
Old 5th October 2008, 14:37

Peter...

Sorry, mistimings with the postings... thanks for your additional input as well. Will look at the LEMB site in due course... definitely after lunch... I'm starving... !

Regards...
Old 5th October 2008, 15:21
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

Hi Obdl3945,

Sharp thinkin. Yes, there was also Ju 86 G-1 ´S13+C76´ of Kommandos der Schulen. but there were other types as well. Ju 53/3m W.Nr. 7274 ´S17+M55´, Ju 87 A-1 W.Nr. 0029? ´S13+S29´.So now you know the time frame: in apx. 1938 to 1942 (at least). I now think I have answered your query in full... the rest whould be careful research of pilots logbooks (Flugbuchs) but hundreds of them are floating around in the International aviation research community. Anyone out there willing to share theirs can contact me off board via this boards PM.

cheers
ed

ed
Old 5th October 2008, 18:33

Doug Stankey will become famous soon enough

From photos and various book references I have collected a number of pre-war school unit codes. It appears that the first three digits are associated with the unit, although more than one combination can apply to a gived school, with the third digit being a variable. The last part consisting of numbers appears to be the individual aircraft identifier. Here’s what I think these unit codes amount to:

S1+A - FS (S) Posen.
S2+M - Erg (S) 1
S2+N – unit unknown.
S2+J – JFS Werneuchen.
S2+O – unit unknown.
S2+K – KFS Tutow.
S3+K – LKS Dresden
S4+K – Fl.WS (E) Krefeld.
S5+C – KFS Lechfeld.
S6+C – Fl.WS (See) Parow.
S6+D – Fl.WS (See Parow.
S6+X – unit unknown.
S7+K - KFS Fassberg.
S7+C – KFS Lechfeld.
S7+Y – FFS Halberstadt or FFS B Salzwedel.
S13+C – FFS C Wiener Neustadt.
S17+A - FAR 14.
S17+B – schule at Parndorf.
S17+M – LNS 2.

Its incomplete and somewhat confusing, but I think that it clarifies the situation a bit. I collect prewar codes and this is the pattern that emerges.
Old 5th October 2008, 21:07
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough

A Ju 86 sporting a double yellow fuselage ring was photographed at the end of the war (!) at an Austrian airfield sporting the following code: S17+M05 (the 'S17' being painted on in small size letters, according to the late-war standard).