Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 7th October 2007, 01:59

alex crawford
Oxford T1023

Hi,

On 13 June 1943 P/O Arthur Lee-White had been ordered to fly an Oxford T1063 from his base in Warmwell Dorset to Ibsley in Hampshire to pick up some ribbons for an awards ceremony. While awaiting clearance to take off for the return trip he waited for 616 Squadron to land after a sweep. Suddenly the propeller of a Spitfire VI was cutting through his Oxford barely missing him and two others aboard.

Arthur was with 263 Squadron around this time and I know they had a Magister on strength and possibly an Oxford as well. Was this their Oxford? Does anyone know who the other two members of the crew were and who was the pilot of the 616 Sqn Spitrfire?

Regards,

Alex
Old 7th October 2007, 02:02

alex crawford
Re: Oxford T1063

Hi,

Title of post should be Oxford T1063.
Old 7th October 2007, 06:05

brewerjerry
Re: Oxford T1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex crawford View Post
Hi,

On 13 June 1943 P/O Arthur Lee-White had been ordered to fly an Oxford T1063 from his base in Warmwell Dorset to Ibsley in Hampshire to pick up some ribbons for an awards ceremony. While awaiting clearance to take off for the return trip he waited for 616 Squadron to land after a sweep. Suddenly the propeller of a Spitfire VI was cutting through his Oxford barely missing him and two others aboard.

Arthur was with 263 Squadron around this time and I know they had a Magister on strength and possibly an Oxford as well. Was this their Oxford? Does anyone know who the other two members of the crew were and who was the pilot of the 616 Sqn Spitrfire?

Regards,

Alex
Hi Alex,
T1063 was a 263Sq Oxford and was SOC 14 june 43
Cheers
Jerry
Old 7th October 2007, 17:45

alex crawford

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the info.

Alex
Old 9th October 2007, 13:11
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

...and I believe I have a photo of said Oxford before its demise
Old 7th March 2008, 10:59

pfP7063 is on a distinguished road

Hello again Alex!

The following should help you answer your query - it is from 263's ORB.

13th.
His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to confer the Distinguished Service Order on S/L G.B. Warnes DFC, and the Distinguished Flying Cross on F/O A. Lee-White and P/O M.T. Cotton RAAF. S/L Warnes's DSO is the second to be awarded for work accomplished entirely with 263 Squadron. The first was awarded posthumously to S/L 'Baldy' Donaldson in July 1940. These 2 DFC's bring the number awarded to the Squadron at Warmwell, during the past 9 months, to 7.

F/S R.A. Hollamby who has been for nearly a year i/c 'A' Flight ground crews, and F/S H.O.J. Watts who is i/c the Armament section, have been honoured and the Squadron with them, by being Mentioned In Despatches.

In the evening, the Squadron Oxford T1064, an old and useful chariot which has hitherto proved inviolable, was rendered Cat B at Ibsley by a Spitfire, which taxied into it while it was stationary before take off. The fuselage was severed behind the cockpit. The pilot, F/O A. Lee-White DFC and his pupil were uninjured. T1064 was replaced by a newer and faster Oxford, T1058. Later, a Squadron party was held at the Golden Lion at Weymouth. It was given by the 4 Officers who have recently been decorated, to all Officers and Aircrew of the Squadron, and 3 members of the Warmwell SHQ, who have been specially friendly and helpful to the Squadron, S/L Marshal - SMO, F/L Ken Baker - Equipment Officer, and F/O Buchanan - Sports Officer. It was a magnificent party, magnificently enjoyed.

If necessary I also have a couple of photos of said Oxford.

Paul