Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 20th September 2018, 02:35

Maciej Góralczyk is on a distinguished road
Camouflages & Marques de l'Armee del l'Air 1939-1945

Found this infommercial on Caraktere's FB page:

Sent an email to the publisher asking about the English edition, but without any anwer. Perhaps CJE can tell us here about his plans for this, or lack of them.
Personally, I'd like to know this before I decide to order the French version.
Old 22nd September 2018, 12:10
Alter Hase

CJE
Re: Camouflages & Marques de l'Armee del l'Air 1939-1945

Hello, thanks for the ad. No English edition is planned in the near future and will probably not, "exotic" aviations meet little success in English speaking countries.
Old 22nd September 2018, 13:04

AMC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJE View Post
Hello, thanks for the ad. No English edition is planned in the near future and will probably not, "exotic" aviations meet little success in English speaking countries.
What a shame, I have absolutely no interest in French aircraft, but this looks a super book and I would surely snap it up if it were in English......
Old 22nd September 2018, 13:16
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Chris

Any more details than this?
When it comes to markings do you cover "only" national markings, unit insignia etc or do we get a full treatment of the serials/codes including what one individual called the French "buzz number" system?

I have one rather thin booklet by you covering the period 1939-40 if I remember right (not home at the moment). I assume this is an increased upgraded and enhanced version?

Cheers
Stig
Old 22nd September 2018, 13:21

bearoutwest is on a distinguished road

Isn't this book similar in concept to the Mushroom Model Publication line of "exotic" air force colours series; i.e. Hungarian, Polish, Swedish, Portuguese...etc.

I was under the impression that the Mushroom books were quite successful and well received - including the various volumes on French aircraft and units. If an English language version of CJE's book were available through the likes of Amazon or Book Depository, a copy would certainly appear on my shelves in exchange for electronic "beer vouchers".

...geoff
Old 22nd September 2018, 13:44

SteveB is an unknown quantity at this point

Surely it will include P-39s?,P-40s, P-47s, P-51s, Spitfires...other multi-engine stuff. The details of the book for pre-ordering don't seem to appear yet on www.caraktere.com

Steve
Old 22nd September 2018, 14:57

Sergio Luis dos Santos

Sometimes I think it would be a nice option the publisher created a booklet with the text translated to English or even two or more well know languages with the book. It makes me remember the way the defunct Flugzeug Magazine did for a time. A second option would be a downadable text version direct from the publisher page. I have some nice books I will never read...
Old 24th September 2018, 20:34
Alter Hase

CJE

Sergio,
This is indeed an option but here again the cost of a translation will be out of all proportion to the expected circulation.
Old 25th September 2018, 09:01

bearoutwest is on a distinguished road

Christian,
Occasionally I find a book in French (and sometimes in German) which I'm interested enough in to purchase. In the past, I then laboriously try and translate sections which are of particular interest and value to me. Recently life has been made easier with good scanners and optical character recognition software; and google-translate. I am able to translate French text into quite passable English of areas where I have a reasonable background knowledge in the historical aviation.
I wonder if that is an alternative to dedicated translators - getting a bunch of people reasonably knowledgeable in the subject - and using scanners and OCR software plus google translate, to provide a working first pass translation for the author (or English speaking assistant) to then polish.

...geoff
Old 25th September 2018, 17:02

Sergio Luis dos Santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJE View Post
Sergio,
This is indeed an option but here again the cost of a translation will be out of all proportion to the expected circulation.

Yes, I could not did it in my first book so when I sold them to people outside Brasil I sent via email a file with the complete text in Portuguese so the buyer could "play" a little on her prefered translator...