Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 25th October 2012, 00:07

pstrany
Colors of Luftwaffe Bombs

there is precious little literature about Luftwaffe bombs, and even less about the colors those bombs were to be painted. L.Dv. 4200 “Die deutsche Abwurfmunition” (1943) does not directly address the issue of bomb colors, but mention is made of colors for some weapons. The two colors that I have found mention of in this document are "beigegrau" (beige gray) and "dunkelgrau" (dark gray). The colors for some bombs (such as the SD500, AB250 & AB500) is specified as beigrau. Others (such as the Brand 50) are specified as dunkelgrau. One or two are labelled either/or. Unless I've missed it, no other colors are specified.

This document does not specify a value for dunkelgrau, but a color is specified for beigegrau, specifically in reference to the
abwurfbehälter (AB series of bombs), where the color is further defined as RAL 7027.

OP 1666, "
German Explosive Ordnance" (June 1946) in the introduction indicates that bombs under 500Kg were dark green, and anything over 500Kg was light blue, but further in the text it then specifies colors for each type of weapon, some not relating to the initial generalization at all (for instance, the SC250 - Types 1, 2 and 3; J, L, L2, B and K are specified as being field grey(sic), sky blue or aluminum overall.) This inconsistancy continues throughout, and no source for the colors specified is indicated, though there is some stencil information included that seems quite accurate, so this does not discredit this document, but knowing the source would be very helpful in determining how widespread these applications were.

All the other sources I have tend to mute on the question of base colors. So my question is, is there a general rule of thumb as to colors that Luftwaffe bombs were painted? There are precious few color photos around, but of the few I've seen, it is evident that larger bombs were indeed painted a light blue, in spite of the fact that this color is not mentioned in L.Dv. 4200. Did Luftwaffe bombs actually appear in dark green then as well, in spite of the fact this is not mentioned in the aforementioned manual? IS there some documentation that would support all this? I know that there are SC250 and SC50 bombs that appear very dark in b&w photos. Are they gray, or green? RAL or RLM colors?

Of course, the caveat is that these would be factory colors. What happened once the weapons reached the unit level is anybodies guess!

Paul
Old 25th October 2012, 02:42
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Colors of Luftwaffe Bombs

Hello Paul,

Your last sentence is odd. You make an assumption, which is never a good way to start any research project. I've seen hundred of photos of bombs in the field and being loaded onto aircraft. They were usually camouflaged on the ground in some way, including netting, local vegetation or a tarp.

The color of the bomb must include the colors of the identifying markings, which included numbers and letters. For cylindrical bombs, the convention was yellow striping, 40 mm wide, for aerial mines on the fin, designation of grade, which was the largest marking (black), a two letter designation below that, with the first letter being half the size of the largest marking and indicating the bomb type, and the second letter being a little more than half the size of the first (both black), and indicating the fuse fitting. Below that was the fuse type designator which was three quarters the size of the largest marking. It could be in white with a dark gray border or in black with a beige-gray border. Below that is the black explosive identifier (a number), which is half the height of the largest marking. At the nose is the black indicator for the live explosive core, which is a little more than half the size of the largest marking.

The PD bombs had one blue stripe between each guide fin.

Source: The History of German Aviation: Bombers and Reconnaissance Aircraft 1935 to Present, by Roderich Cescotti.

Ed
Old 25th October 2012, 03:24
Alter Hase

Hello Paul,

What you need is: L. Dv. 8/g 4

Das Handwerkszeug für den Bombenwurf

Teil 4

Ed
Old 25th October 2012, 03:44

Rabe Anton

Dear Pstrany et al.,

The definitive, all-encompassing answer to your question(s) may be found in German Bombs & Fuzes, Land Mines & Igniters, a 156-page manual (ca. 6 x 8 in.) compiled by the U.S. Navy Bomb Disposal School and dated 15 Mar. 1944. The publication was clearly intended as the master instruction manual for teaching the disposal of all German air-dropped explosive devices used in W.W. II up to the publication date. I consider it the ultimate reference for German aerial ordnance of W.W. II. For each weapon, flare, or related device (including smoke, practice, and propaganda leaflet dispenser) there is a beautiful one-page cutaway drawing with all dimensions; on the reverse side will be found a table giving the overall length, diameter of body, thickness of case, construction of body, tail information, total weight of bomb, charge/weight ratio, and, most importantly for Pstrany, "Color & Markings of Bomb and Tail." There is even an entry for the non-explosive "crow's foot," an area (read highway or street) denial weapon intended for puncturing vehicle tires.

I am aware that the above is an American, not German, publication. A moment's reflection, however, will underscore the requirement for absolute accuracy in the information presented.

A copy of the manual is held by the AFHRA, Maxwell AFB, Alabama, U.S.A., under the file no. 520.056-415, 15 Mar. 44.

RA
Old 25th October 2012, 06:46

D.B. Andrus

Re. German Bombs & Fuzes, Land Mines & Igniters, a 156-page manual (ca. 6 x 8 in.) compiled by the U.S. Navy Bomb Disposal School and dated 15 Mar. 1944.

A larger publication was printed by the Dept. of the Army and Air Force in 1953. It may contain similar information to the publication above:

TM-9-1985-2 (Army)
TO 11A-1-26 (Air Force)
German Explosive Ordnance (Bombs, Fuzes, Rockets, Land Mines and Igniters) 352 pp.

It is available free to download at this site:

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/...5-2-German.pdf

HTH,

D.B.
Old 25th October 2012, 07:25

pstrany

thanks for all the replies. And you are right Ed, my last sentence was not worded properly. I was a bit distracted, as I had just received the picture below, which shows a larger bomb that appears to have been a very light color (light blue?) over which a darker color was smeared, probably at a dump or airfield somewhere. What I was trying to say is that once the bomb left the factory, it was anybody's guess as to what treatment (camo, paint, abuse) it got in the field.

As to the OP 1666 and similar, OP 1666 was a document on German bombs compiled by the US Navy; I also have a copy of TM 9-1985-2, "German Explosive Ordnance" which is very similar to the US Navy document.

I suppose my question is what colors German bombs would be painted overall. I have wonderful detail in the above documents regarding stenciling, tail stripes, and the like; what I lack is a clear picture of the colors of the bomb bodies. Again, the German manual mentions only beigegrau and dunkelgrau, and only beigegrau is further defined as an RAL color. Obviously, this is not all-inclusive, as photos very clearly show bombs painted in other colors, but again, what were the values of these colors. The light blue, was it an RAL color, or RLM color?If I want to hang an SC250 under my Fw-190, should it be dark green, or dark gray? That sort of thing. And yes, the American documents have some detail, but I would very much like to know how this was compiled, and if it is all field reports, or if other sources were used as well. If only field reports, how many? One or two? Several hundred?. Eyewitness reports can be very subjective, and to be perfectly honest, if I were examining a German bomb, the last thing I would be concerned with is what color it was. I'd be more concerned with whether the thing might go off! I'm not trying to discount those works; indeed, the fact that a lot of the information about stenciling agrees with factory specs lends credence to the other information imparted.

While it would be nice to have clear, precise answers, I know I'm not going to get that. What is extremely helpful is to get other peoples' insights and thoughts, as a way of challenging the conclusions (and face it, mostly assumptions) that I have make in this regard.

So thank you all for your input, it is VERY helpful.

Paul
Old 25th October 2012, 17:27
Alter Hase

I think it would be important for bomb disposal personnel to know the colors of the bombs and relevant markings. A bomb in a field that had not gone off but was dark green would call for a more careful survey, being more difficult to see in green vegetation, whereas a bare metal, or light gray bomb would be easier to spot and mark.

Regarding the photo you posted, it is my guess that the side of the bomb that would be visible to a ground observer would, in some cases, be painted in the field to match the underside color of the aircraft carrying it.

Here's a reference you may find useful:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CDIQ9QEwAw

Ed
Old 25th October 2012, 18:10

SES

Hi pstrany,
Please see attachments.
bregds
SES
Old 25th October 2012, 18:30
Alter Hase

Andy Saunders is on a distinguished road

I have the 1977 German handbook for EOD personnel "Munitions-Lexikon Band 3: Deutsche Bomben, by Karl R Pawlas"

This has detailed descriptions of ALL German LW bombs 1939/45, together with precise details of colours and markings along with line drawings and cut-aways of the projectiles.

Last edited by Andy Saunders; 25th October 2012 at 22:47. Reason: typo
Old 25th October 2012, 18:45

Clint Mitchell is on a distinguished road

The bombs in the last photo posted look to have the undersides blacked out. Same as with the undersides of the bombers during the blitz. Not a good idea to have a nice night camouflaged bomber with bright RLM65 bombs underneath to attract the search beams.

Here is a good link containing Luftwaffe bomb specs and colours: http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/bombs.html

I agree with Ed in that the ordnance would have been repainted in field as and when required for their specific use. Specific bombs presumably would have specific overall colours depending on whether they were carried internally or externally. For example a bomb with fittings for vertical suspension inside a He111 would not be required to be painted RLM65 (sky colour) so would probably leave the factory in a dark green (RLM70 or RLM71?). Whereas a bomb with fittings for external horizontal suspension would likely leave the factory RLM65. There appear to be no strict rules as I've seen photos of light blue and dark green used externally. The only thing that would need to be strictly adhered to are the markings for identification which would be for the specific type of bomb. These markings also vary greatly from stripes, rings, to the whole rear cone area being painted in the bomb type identity colour.

So the conclusion is unless you have a photo showing your specific Fw190 carrying a specific coloured bomb then you could take your pick.