Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 25th January 2014, 08:36
Alter Hase

ju55dk will become famous soon enough
Der Hochfrekvenzkrieg:German translation of a USAF int. report?

I have a german language photocopy of this report. I,m looking for the original USAF counterpart. It does contain a lot of pictures from Denmark of german radar, electronics and so on 1945. Does anyone know in wich archive it might be. It was published 1946 by USAF transport command.
See attachment.

Regards
Junker

Last edited by ju55dk; 25th August 2018 at 17:23.
Old 25th January 2014, 14:22
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: Der Hochfrekvenzkrieg:German translation of a USAF int. report?

J.J. -

All of the postwar German and Japanese technical material processed by or published by the T-2 technical intelligence people at Wright-Patterson eventually ended up with NASM at Suitland, Maryland. A couple of years ago they moved to the new museum in suburban Virginia. So you should e-mail them and see if they have it.

http://airandspace.si.edu/collection...-tech-docs.cfm#

L.
Old 26th January 2014, 08:15
Alter Hase

Hi Larry.

A big thank you from Denmark.

Jörn
Old 26th January 2014, 10:57

SES

Hi Larry,
Many thanks for pointer.
bregds
SES
Old 26th January 2014, 14:25

Richard T. Eger is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Larry,

Your link refers to the microfilms listed in the Desk Catalog of Captured German and Japanese Air Technical Documents, not their subsequent translations. If I recall correctly, I ran across a few of the actual translation reports at the NASM's mall location. Whether these represented a full set, I don't know, or whether they were moved out to the NASM's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, VA, when the archive at Garber was moved there, I also don't know.

There are a bunch of the USAAF-USAF F-TS translation reports at the science library of the New York City public library system.

Regards,
Richard
Old 26th January 2014, 14:39
Alter Hase

I have send a request to NASM.

J
Old 26th January 2014, 18:16
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Richard -

It's difficult to say whether or not the NASM collection contains the English language monographic studies, reports, etc. or not:

"
Quote:
This microfilm series, which includes more than 5,000 reels of microfilm, contains documents pertaining to aircraft and aeronautical subjects, including aircraft manuals, flight test reports, and engineering studies of aircraft.
"

But it seems logical. Otherwise, why would they separate the T-2 Wright-Pat output, sending part of it to NASM and other parts God knows where?

I maintain that this is the best place to start out and if they do not have the reports, then they should be able to tell J.J. where they are. These reports went to a fairly large number of commands and agencies so there should be copies at NARA and AFHRA as well as at NASM and NY Public.

L.
Old 27th January 2014, 02:15

Dear Larry,

Your quote is accurate, as the microfilms do include aircraft manuals, flight test report, and engineering studies of aircraft - all in the original German. The most English reports I found were in the 8000 series microfilms, but really not of the USAAF-USAF F-TS translation reports, or at least hardly any.

What I found at the NASM mall location were scattered samples of the F-TS reports, probably placed by subject matter, rather than as a singular whole collection. Now, I admit, I didn't ask if they had the reports also as a collection, so maybe Junker will get lucky.

As for a set being found at NARA II, I never ran across it. I think, at most, I ran across a few of them in about 3 archive boxes. Now, NARA II is a warren's nest and maybe they are buried there as a complete set - probably right next to the Ark of the Covenant. I do know that they have what looks to be a complete set of the Navy translation reports - the CGD reports - Captured German Document. There are about 1200 of these. I am sure that there were many times more than these issued by the USAAF-USAF.

I checked at the New York City public library because major libraries were used as depositories and certainly NYC would have been one of them. It was only after tickling someone's memory that he finally remembered that they existed.

The Library of Congress would be another place to look. The LoC has thousands of PB reports, many of them duplicates of what are on the microfilms at the NASM, but the last time I checked, it was the same thing - trying to find someone who remembered them. On a lark, I asked the current price to get a copy of the lengthy postwar report in English on Messerschmitt, which I already purchased from them sometime in the 60's. The new price was astronomical.

Good luck on getting help from the AFHRA these days. I researched there back in the 70's. Maybe 10 years ago I got some very nice help via e-mail and the phone, which I truly appreciated. But, the last time I sought similar help, it was essentially "go away boy, you bother me". I gave up. Maybe you can work things through their website.

Regards,
Richard
Old 27th January 2014, 03:40
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Some months ago, I ran across, quite by accident, and acquired a listing of various reports in German that Wright Field had translated. Sometimes, the company that did/held the translated version was identified, like Lockheed, now Lockheed Martin. I'm thinking about contacting them to see what they may still have in their archives from the 1945 to 1948 period, or, if not, what happened to the documents. I know it's not the preferred 'one-stop shopping' approach, but it's worth a shot.

Ed
Old 27th January 2014, 04:12

Dear Ed,

At NARA II are reports on the progress of the translation efforts. I copied them, but they only really tell you, IIRC, what was being worked on, but not the final report numbers.

Another option in going to the aircraft manufacturers themselves is the archive at Boeing. The issue, of course, is that it is a private archive, so cooperation might be debatable, as it would be with any of the aircraft company archives. I remember a story about some writer wanting to write a book on a Boeing bomber of WW II - obviously either the B-17 or B-29 - but the author studiously stuck with photos from public archives because the price was so steep from Boeing.

There are, however, independent archives that may tend to be bastions of reports/holdings from individual aircraft manufacturers.

Regards,
Richard

Last edited by Richard T. Eger; 27th January 2014 at 17:26.