Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 22nd March 2024, 09:04

Von Alles
Re: eBAy: Captured german planes

Any idea about the unit of this Fw190 ?
Old 22nd March 2024, 14:32

Tom Willis is on a distinguished road

Sorry no - My interest is the unique nature of the Stkz of the small RU is at the end rather than the usual front position.
Old 29th March 2024, 17:48

S Sheflin will become famous soon enough

Post #5731 – In Luftwaffe Airfields 1935-45, Germany, Henry L. deZeng IV lists the following units as being stationed at München-Oberwiesenfeld:
“Operational Units: Kurierstaffel 13 (Aug-Sep 43)?
School Units: Fliegertechnische Schule 3 (c. 1939-45); Arbeitsplatz for LKS Fürstenfeldbruck/LKS 4 (1937-45); Arbeitsplatz for FFS A 5.”
Of these, Fliegertechnische Schule 3 may be the best fit for these uniquely-marked Fw190s found there.
I look forward to hearing from the members on this.
Respectfully,
Steve Sheflin
Old 30th March 2024, 09:36

Von Alles

Thank you Steve
Old 30th March 2024, 23:23

Tom Willis is on a distinguished road

Thanks Steve
I agree. The unusual repeating Stkz TS+M series was also operated by Fliegertechnische Schule 3 at Munchen-Schleissheim and these were also being applied during this late period of the war. If memory serves me right there were also a few Fw 190s with the first and second letters of the Stkz also displayed in small scale in the usual fashion of Vkz of main line Units.
Old 31st March 2024, 10:14

Von Alles

They has also red numbers and at least one of them was repainted in light grey color.
Old 31st March 2024, 10:19
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

....and there seems to be a digit 3 behind the small RU letters as well. Camouflage paint playing tricks, or....?

Cheers
Stig
Old 31st March 2024, 19:18

Von Alles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig Jarlevik View Post
....and there seems to be a digit 3 behind the small RU letters as well. Camouflage paint playing tricks, or....?

Cheers
Stig
You're right Stig.
Old 3rd April 2024, 00:01

ChristianK is on a distinguished road

Gentlemen,

my two cents about the TS+Mx planes and all these Fw 190s with the unusual Stammkennzeichen application:

The planes marked TS+MB almost definitely belonged to Fliegertechnische Schule 3, which operated from München-Oberwiesenfeld, Milbertshofen and Schleißheim. Planes marked as such (a lot of Bf 109s, two Bf 110s, one Me 262) were found in Oberwiesenfeld and Schleißheim (Another one of these schools, Fliegertechnische Schule 6 in Bayreuth used the marking TS+MA.)

Those unusual Fw 190s likely did belong to a different school (or Ergänzungs unit), as to me it wouldn't make much sense to use such distinctively different marking styles within the same entity. Why a school? Because most of these aircraft are older variants, some of them are two-seaters. And yes, all of them carry single or double-digit numbers aft of the Stammkennzeichen. The numbers have different colors (black and yellow?). I have identified the following Fw 190s of this unit:

RF+DE in Oberwiesenfeld
PL+?? in Oberwiesenfeld
TF+LL in Oberwiesenfeld

TY+RU in Oberwiesenfeld
TH+RU in Oberwiesenfeld

SP+SO in Oberwiesenfeld
SH+JA in Oberwiesenfeld (SH only likely confirmed)

VS+B? in Bad Aibling
RN+LG in Bad Aibling
BW+WC in Bad Aibling (?)

A search on stammkennzeichen.de did not bring any satisfying result. Perhaps some member is able to solve this puzzle. (My best guess would be IV./EJG 1, but without much confidence)

Cheers,
Christian