Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 13th December 2007, 18:42
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road
Re: Friendly fire WWII

Hi Ron

Thanks for the info - I don't seem to have record of this, so if you can find out any more I would be grateful. I will have a look at 414's ORB when I get the opportunity.

Cheers
Brian

Are we suggesting Sqn Ldr Smokey Stover DFC?
Old 13th December 2007, 23:07

PUFF OF SMOKE is on a distinguished road

You win the prize for guessing. Seriously, "Smoke" was my father. Received the attached from Michal Rak re friendly fire dogfight. as I recall reading the ORB, it wasn't a jump and shoot deal. It was a real "battle". I have since found the ORB page about the incident , but it is hardly readable in my copy.

"And the friendly fire accident you mentioned is between F/O F.L.Vaupel and F/O Powell from 421 squadron( NOTEd as 412 in ORB) on 17 june 1943? Or some other? "
Michal Rak
Old 14th December 2007, 11:48

Michal R. is on a distinguished road

Ron have true, F/O Powell was from 412 squadron, my mistake, I exchanged numbers.
The incident was 25 miles south of the Scilly Isles. Two Mustangs were on Instep patrol and two Spitfires on defensive patrol and each mistook the other for enemy. F/O L.W.Powell, DFC was killed in Spitfire Vc AR522 and F/O F.L.Vaupel in Mustang I AP206.

Sources: Franks - FC Losses of WW2 1942-43 and Foreman - FC War Diaries, part 3.
Old 14th December 2007, 19:09

Unhappy Re: Friendly fire WWII

One more bit of information that I recently uncovered. F/L Frederick Leroy Vaupel was killed in freindly fire on June 17/43. His younger brother P/O Raymond Ernest Vaupel was killed in Egypt flying with RAF 148 Sqdrn on July 31, 1942. Can't imagine what their Mom and Dad went through.

Puff
Old 18th December 2007, 10:23

Michal R. is on a distinguished road

Hi Brian,

I have some other accidents for you, maybe you know it or they were there in thread because this is big thema now

At first some accidents of Czechoslovak pilots

On 3. (or 5.) June 1940 about 20.15 Lt. Josef Dekastello from GC I/8 made test flight in repaired Bloch MB.152 (No.567). He made simulated attack on AA battery wich protected his airport Claye-Souilly. Unfortunately battery started fire and hit the Bloch. Dekastello attempted make crash land but crashed and was killed.

On 9. June 1940 wes French AA fire shot down Bloch MB.152 from GC I/1 near St.Quentin. Bloch was set on fire and pilot Cpl. Cyril Nováček bailed out wounded on leg.

On 12. June 1940 was shot dow by French AA fire Bloch MB.152 from GC I/8 in which Cpl.Chef. Otto Špaček made cross country flight from Nancy to Brétigny.
On 12. March 1943 was crew P/O Ladislav Bobek, DFC - W/O Bohuslav Kovařík on night patrol over North Sea when they met some Halifax which started fire and hit their Beaufighter Mk.VIF (V8591). Bobek made crash landing on Coltishal in 23:00 and was lightly wounded.

On 27. June 1944 was crew F/Lt Josef Čapka, DFM – F/LT G.T.Williams,DFM from 68 squadron in Beaufighter Mk.VIF KV974(WM-R) on day training flight. They encoutered US Liberator and Čapka made formation with him but rear gunner started fire and set Beaufighter on fire. Čapka made carash landing and was badly hurt (he lost left eye). Williams bailed out before crash.

And one from Balkan -

On 17. October 1944 was shot down Fiesler Fi 167 of NOVJ (People's Liberation Army - Yugoslav Partisans) air force by four RAF fighters, probably Mustangs. In this plane was General Ćetković, commanding Officre of VIII. Corps NOVJ, General was killed, other three members survived crash landing.

And I read somewhere that there were some dog fights between Americans and Soviet fighters over Yugoslavia but I do not know details.

Maybe this help
Best wishes
Michal
Old 18th December 2007, 17:52
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road

Thaks a million, Michal, most are 'new' to me.

Don't worry about the US/Soviet clashes - I have details.

Thanks also, Puff.

Cheers
Brian
Old 19th December 2007, 00:00

BRIAN, YOUR QUEST FOR FRIENDLY FIRE DETAILS RE THE 414 AND 412 SQUADRONS ARE FULLY DETAILED IN THE ATTACHED ARTICLE. THERE IS A STORY CONTAINED IN THE SAME ARTICLE ABOUT 23 DAKOTAS DOWNED BY NAVAL GUNFIRE IN SICILY

YOU WILL HAVE A LOT FOR AT LEAST TWO BOOKS.

REGARDS,

RON
http://www.legionmagazine.com/featur...tory/07-11.asp
Old 4th January 2008, 01:27

aclark116 is on a distinguished road

Hello:

I was lead to this forum by an internet search of s/n NS635, which I believe is the serial number of the DH Mosquito Mk XVI my grandfather flew in WWII (653rd Bombardment Squadron, 25th Bomb Group, 8th Air Force at Watton).

I only have his name (Capt. Robert L. Lee), squadron info and a few photos to go on.

A list of USAAF Overseas Accident Reports I came across suggests on 16 Sept 1944 he was involved in a landing crash in aircraft NS635 at Watton, although a post earlier in this thread suggests on 24 March 1945 the same aircraft fell victim to friendly fire, while being flown by a different pilot.
http://www.aviationarcheology.org/sr...y/Sep1944O.htm
http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showth...t=2670&page=35

Is it possible that these are the same aircraft?

I have several photos of my grandfather standing next to mossies, though only one of these I'm certain is his (he's standing near the nose of the aircraft). Please see attached photo -- the nose art says "Patches". Another photo had him standing near the tail, but the s/n is -632, not -635...

Any input or help would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to determine the correct serial number of the plane he flew.

Many thanks.
Old 11th January 2008, 16:21

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY is on a distinguished road
Smile Friendly Fire WWII, 1st Jan.

Hi All,
Regarding the FF which took place on the 1st Jan at Y-29 involving the 328FS,352FG pilot.
Not sure if this has already been mentioned, I know Troy White gave some info on this matter, but not sure wether the aircraft shot down was ID`d. But just in case here is an ID for said aircraft. The aircraft turned out to be an RAF Hawker Typhoon of 183Sq.from Gilze-Rijen on their way to their new base at Chievres. The unfortunate pilot to lose his life in the shot down Typhoon was F/Lt. Don Webber.

Hope this is of use.
Cheers!
P.S When do you hope to release the book?. I guess you can't really hope to get info on ALL FF actions of WW2..but you could do follow up books when yuou find further incidents.
Old 11th January 2008, 17:00

CRIPES_A_MIGHTY is on a distinguished road
NS635 ?

I read that NS635 was lost on the 4th April 1945.

Macr 13948.