Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 1st October 2012, 22:36

Mysticpuma is on a distinguished road
Tough (gruesome) question, but maybe someone knows the answer.

Apologies for the awkward question that follows but maybe someone knows the answer?

I was contacted by a P-51 Ace who recalled two crashes he witnessed and for some reason now he has become interested if anyone knows the answer to the following question he asked me:

"On two occasions, I was witness to a GI manning a shovel trying to retrieve enough of a dead pilot's body to qualify it for a burial. There was a minimum requirement that in my mind was 40 pounds, but today I can not recall just where I heard that figure.

Can any of you help me with the correct quantity?

Once, while I was visiting an enlisted cousin at a bomber base south of Foggia in Italy, a British Spitfire did a half roll at 500 feet, and dove straight into the earth, leaving little more than a big hole where the plane hit the ground. When I left that field a British soldier was still pushing soft chunks with his shovel trying to determine what to salvage as pieces of the shattered pilot.

The second time was when a P-51 came apart while practising dive bombing as a member of a four-man flight. The Pilot's body ended as a scattered bunch of shattered mortal. I think there was some problem gathering enough of him to ship off for burial, and I don't know whether his body was buried."

So that's the question. Is there an answer?

Cheers, MP
Old 1st October 2012, 23:24
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Tough (gruesome) question, but maybe someone knows the answer.

I believe that 7 lbs was the minimum requirement as this is the average weight that most come into this life and it is therefore appropriate that they go out at such a weight. I could be wrong though but am sure that Andy Saunders will be able to put us straight.
Old 2nd October 2012, 22:05

Chris, thanks for your answer. It does seem to make sense about the 7lb rule. I hope others can confirm this, but it is really much appreciated, cheers, MP
Old 10th October 2012, 18:27

Just wondering if anyone else can confirm the above information? Cheers, MP