Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Off Topic

Off Topic Please use this forum to discuss all off topic subjects.

Old 29th October 2009, 13:07

Franz von Werra is on a distinguished road
Research on POW murder, N. Italy 1944

During my recent visit to the National Archives I stumbled on a JAG file concerning the shooting of a British POW in Tuscany while I was looking for something else. This prompted me to take up another "cold case" which I came across years ago: the murder of an RAF officer.

In this case the area is different (nowhere near the frontline, in fact it was the heart of the Salo Republic). I understand that before he died, the officer gave his rank and name as RAF Wing Commander George Wilson. The murder is to be dated back to 1944.

None of the entries found in the CWGC website matches the rank of this serviceman. And the National Archives seem to hold no record of a possible JAG proceeding on him.

To complicate things even further, nothing is known about his Squadron or place of capture (Africa? Italy?) captivity (there were several POW camps in the area) or actual nationality (he might even have been a South African or a New Zealander).

But he might still be buried in the town nearest to the murder spot.

So what should I do?
Old 29th October 2009, 21:42

Icare9 is on a distinguished road
Re: Research on POW murder, N. Italy 1944

There are 151 Wilson RAF (and Commonwealth) Air Force deaths in 1944, according to the CWGC website. There are only a handful in Italian cemeteries and none with Wing Commander rank. Even including 1943 when the Salo Republic was formed (to save others searching, it was the "puppet" North Italian "State" following the rescue of Mussolini that remained on the German side after the surrender of Italy) there are a further 129 Wilsons, only one a Wing Commander. I would therefore suggest that the name is incorrect, but as to what his correct name could be, I haven't a clue.
You seem to have more than just the details posted here, do you know a more precise date or where the "murder" happened and who by, or any witness statements? Which towns could he be buried in? How did you obtain the original information about his murder?
Old 30th October 2009, 00:25

The CWGC website seems to be useless in this case. As you have experienced, all searches come down to nothing.
Sorry I have no other information other than that posted here, which comes from a newspaper article that first dealt with the case nine years ago. Now I'm close to obtaining another JAG file detailing the shooting of a POW in the area close to the capital city of the Italian Social Republic. The date and place match closely those referenced (pretty hazily) in the article. So maybe this is it.
Old 1st February 2010, 14:40

I received a copy of the papers these days. All right, but the only disappointing details are that no picture of the victim is provided, nor the serial number/rank (strange!). He is only indicated as "Dr. George Wilson"...
Is there any way to trace Wilson's military record from this scarce information?
Old 2nd February 2010, 00:37

Icare9 is on a distinguished road

Could it actually be DRIVER George Wilson, not DOCTOR?
If so, there is this:-
Name: WILLSON, GEOFFREY GEORGE
Initials: G G
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Army Service Corps
Unit Text: 1 Armd. Div. Supply Group Coy.
Date of Death: 31/07/1944
Service No: T/130496
Additional information: Son of George Edwards Willson and Margaret Willson; husband of Kathleen Lilian Willson, of Dorking, Surrey.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: III. C. 13.
Cemetery: MILAN WAR CEMETERY
The surname is slightly different to the usual spelling, which is why he wasn't found earlier (and not RAF).
It is a 1944 Date of death, but more research would need to be done to try and confirm if this is your man.
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:14

Many thanks. I am astonished: most details match. I will have to have a better look at the papers then I'll get back to you.
Old 10th March 2010, 16:22

Adrian20 is on a distinguished road

great post and info.