Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 28th September 2005, 20:06

bill norman
Twin-boom nightfighters

Does anyone have knowledge of twin-boom nightfighters being used operationally over northern England in March 1943?
Bill Norman
Old 28th September 2005, 21:31

Jon
Re: Twin-boom nightfighters

Hi Bill.

The only twin boom Nightfighters operating over Britain I am aware of was the American P61 Black Widow, however they did not arrive in Europe until either late 1943 or early 1944.

British Nightfighters of the time were either the Bristol Beaufighter or the fantastic Mosquito and neither had the twin boom.

The US Day fighter the P38 did have a twin boom however and was here in March 43, it operated in the day fighter role but another member may be able to say if it also took on a night intruder role either with the USAF or the RAF.
Old 28th September 2005, 22:57

bill norman
Re: Twin-boom nightfighters

Jon, I tend to agree with you - but an ex-Luftwaffe friend of mine is certain he was engaged by a twin-boom nightfighter on the night of 12 March 1943.