Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 17th September 2017, 11:26
Alter Hase

focusfocus is on a distinguished road
Uffz.Heinz Gehrke,Wound Badge

Hi all

February 22,1945:
That day,Uffz.Gehrke is shot down (Fw.190D-9,wn.500096 yl 1) by S/L D.C.Fairbanks (274°Sq).

Seriously injured and burnt,he remained in hospital until November 1945.

IN AUGUST 1945,he was awarded the Wound Badge in Silver for five combat injuries.

My Question.
WHICH(german?) authorities have handed him this decoration??....in a Germany administered by the "Allies"??? very strange!!

Michel
Old 17th September 2017, 21:19
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road
Re: Uffz.Heinz Gehrke,Wound Badge

While your question is interesting, I would like to point that Uffz Gehrke was probably in a military German hospital when war ended in Europe and probably remained in the same structure the next month. In a similar case, I remember that all German personnel remained in place.

Then the award of the medal itself was probably less interesting to him that the money that was due with it, or the pension. German administration certainly continue to pay pensions for invalid soldiers after the war, and in immediate post-WWII Germany, they were important. Again I remember reading about it but for a latter period (1946 or later).

So I found logical that while a part of the German military administration will have stopped working (like the victory confirmation board), the services dealing with casualties were still working (and probably even harder than before, to compensate the confusion of the end of the war).
Old 18th September 2017, 18:45

Kaczmarek is on a distinguished road
Re: Uffz.Heinz Gehrke,Wound Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurent Rizzotti View Post
While your question is interesting, I would like to point that Uffz Gehrke was probably in a military German hospital when war ended in Europe and probably remained in the same structure the next month. In a similar case, I remember that all German personnel remained in place.
So it is possible he receive the Wound Badge from the Oberstabsarzt of the hospital.