Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 14th January 2009, 01:26

macmullin is on a distinguished road
Operation Bodenplatte: Brussels-Evere Airfield Location

Hi Guys,

I have been doing research for a painting I would like to create about RCAF, 403 Squadron Fighter Ace F/O Stephen Butte. Starting out on the morning of Jan 1, 1945 taking off from Brussels-Evere for a routine patrol – he ran into a fighter strike groups JG 26 and JG 54 (Operation Bodenplatte) ripping up the airfield. Before he had chance to really retract his landing gear he started firing at his attackers taking out three in that mornings fight.

I have most of the information I need to create the art work except; the location of where the Brussels-Evere air field was at this time. I am not sure if it’s the present day Brussels Airport, or what it may have looked like in 1944 or early 1945. If any one can help me with information or access to some period photos of this airfield it would be a big, big help.

Dale

Last edited by macmullin; 15th January 2009 at 01:54. Reason: Spelling :-)
Old 14th January 2009, 10:50

jvmasset is on a distinguished road
Re: Operation Bodenplatte: Brussels-Evere Airfield Location

Look there:

http://www.baha.be/webpages/navigato...orts/Evere.htm

and

http://www.baha.be/Webpages/Navigato..._buildings.htm

This should be good enough, i believe...

I may be able to dig a Evere 44 map, but I am not at home...

JV
Old 15th January 2009, 02:10

macmullin is on a distinguished road
Re: Operation Bodenplatte: Brussels-Evere Airfield Location

HI JV,

Thank you for the wonderful leads, I mentioned to another member here in the forum earlier today that I have been banging my head against a wall for the last couple of weeks. I was really quite unsuccessful finding information on this air field during the war period. Thank you for your efforts.

Dale MacMullin