Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 13th May 2010, 04:01

park20 is on a distinguished road
looking for survivors of Col Magruder's squadron

My name is Clay Parkhill Of Dallas, TX. My father, Lt Ralyn Parkhill was a Marine aviator in '44-'45. He began flying Corsairs and later flew Hellcats for Col Magruder in VMF (N) 533. I recently saw in my father's house a Distinguished Flying Cross. When I Asked him How he got the DFC, he shrugged it off as no big deal. I do not believe he would have this DFC under false pretenses, so I am seeking anyone who served with my Father or possibly Col. Magruder's son might have documents that would shed some light on this mystery.
Old 13th May 2010, 07:50
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road
Re: looking for survivors of Col Magruder's squadron

Clay,
Your father is credited with a Rufe (a float Zeke) on June 26, 1945, at 0205 hours, at 38 m, 38 deg from Pt. Bolo (Pt. Bolo was a navigation point on Okinawa, on the west side where the coast changes from almost north to almost east). Source: VMF(N)-533 WD and ACA 26. It is quite possible that this relates to the award of a DFC.

I have his name as Rayln C Parkhill; can you tell me what the "C" stands for? In addition, if he still has his flight log, I would be most interested in learning the BuNo of the F6F-5N he was flying on this night.

Hope this helps.

Frank.
Historian, American Fighter Aces Association.
Old 13th May 2010, 16:55

park20 is on a distinguished road
Re: looking for survivors of Col Magruder's squadron

Frank,
The 'C' is for Clayton. Dad was from the Beaumont, TX area
I doubt that he has his flight log. He had a trunk of combat gear etc that sadly was lost in a fire. The only document I have seen is his discharge from the Marines. My stepmother found his DFC and Navy Air Medal and had them put in a shadow box or I would never have known he even had them. He is very modest.
I am surprised that a DFC would be awarded for a single kill. Was that common practice or could it be because it was at night?