Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 14th September 2020, 19:03
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
Re: Einzelmeldung Nr 3 vom 14.8.1940 (Luftflotte 3)

You're welcome Brian.

Stay well,
Ed
Old 15th September 2020, 10:28

BrianC is on a distinguished road

Thanks, ChrisG, for providing so many leads.

We now know that M Balloon Unit was the main organisation this side of the Channel, but what was the German equivalent? And what do we know about this unit? I'm sure one or more of our experts will have some information.

Great stuff!

Stay safe
Brian
Old 17th September 2020, 09:37

Chris Going is on a distinguished road

Re the Parachute leaflet drop thing. I think, coincidentally, that we we have some strong ground evidence that on this night leaflets were dropped by parachute.

I have a reference to an Icelandic News leaflet The Daily Post, (Tölublað) dated August 15th 1940 (cost: 10 aurar) It’s a two column affair, 4 pages long.

Anyway, on the front page is the following:

Extensive manhunt in Britain.
London. Today. Troops in armoured cars, home guards and planes were engaged yesterday in an extensive search for German parachutists yesterday (sic), in the Midlands and the south west of Scotland, after about 30 parachutes had been found, most of them in the Midlands. No reports of captured parachutists have come in and in some quarters it is believed, that the parachutes were dropped empty, for the purpose of disturbing the people of Britain.

No mention of leaflets, but the fact that the reference is to about 30 parachutes chimes well with the Taschen numbers (29, 30).

So, I think we have here a link with the Einzelmeldung, and also, the kernel of the rumours of groups of German Parachutists dressed as Nuns or Vicars, or what knot, at large in the UK in the summer of 1940.

Lock-down fun, eh?

best

ChrisG
Old 17th September 2020, 09:48

Personally I like Ed West's 'Late in the day drop of glow in the dark bags' it has a kind of inspired lunacy about it which appeals to my warped sense of humour.

Best

ChrisG
Old 17th September 2020, 20:38

Andy Mitchell will become famous soon enoughAndy Mitchell will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Going View Post
Re the Parachute leaflet drop thing. I think, coincidentally, that we we have some strong ground evidence that on this night leaflets were dropped by parachute.

I have a reference to an Icelandic News leaflet The Daily Post, (Tölublað) dated August 15th 1940 (cost: 10 aurar) It’s a two column affair, 4 pages long.

Anyway, on the front page is the following:

Extensive manhunt in Britain.
London. Today. Troops in armoured cars, home guards and planes were engaged yesterday in an extensive search for German parachutists yesterday (sic), in the Midlands and the south west of Scotland, after about 30 parachutes had been found, most of them in the Midlands. No reports of captured parachutists have come in and in some quarters it is believed, that the parachutes were dropped empty, for the purpose of disturbing the people of Britain.

No mention of leaflets, but the fact that the reference is to about 30 parachutes chimes well with the Taschen numbers (29, 30).

So, I think we have here a link with the Einzelmeldung, and also, the kernel of the rumours of groups of German Parachutists dressed as Nuns or Vicars, or what knot, at large in the UK in the summer of 1940.

Lock-down fun, eh?

best

ChrisG

Chris,

Very interesting read. How did you manage to find this?

Many thanks

Andy Mitchell

LuftwaffeData Wiki including the history of Aufklgr. 122
Old 17th September 2020, 21:21

Here you are

https://timarit.is/page/4644508#page/n0/mode/2up

Best

ChrisG
Old 17th September 2020, 21:28

Andy Mitchell will become famous soon enoughAndy Mitchell will become famous soon enough

Chris,

Thanks for the link.

There was me thinking that it would be in Icelandic.....hence my curiosity as to how you came across this article.

Interesting article on page 3 - appears the RAF were bombing "Fagtories" in Milan - classic typo for a headline.

All the best

Andy Mitchell

LuftwaffeData Wiki including the history of Aufklgr. 122
Old 18th September 2020, 10:02

I assume that with c 1000 UK forces personnel on the island at the time, the Daily Post was primarily aimed at them. The story was immediately swamped by Eagle Day reports, and dropped from sight.

Mass Observation Reports from the time would certainly produce something. MOI records (wherever they are.

Best

ChrisG