Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 4th December 2009, 01:33

Peter S is on a distinguished road
Dakota KG397

I'm looking for any pictures of Canadian Dakota KG397. Not sure if there are any taken after the crash on 13th of February 1946. Also if there is someone able to share any photos of the crew: S/Ldr R.G.Joyce - pilot, F/O A.J.Clarke co-pilot, F/Lt R.J.Mitchell - navigator and F/O A.W.Gallop w/op I will much apprieciate it.
Few bits and pieces need clarification: is there any other description of this accident apart from added below?
Aircraft was on a passenger run, Buckeburg to Croydon. Forecast was poor and he landed at Manston. After checking weather again he took off at 1055 hours, flying at 2,500 feet between two layers of 6/10 cloud. Approaching Croydon he tried "Gee" homing but could not pick up "V" beams. Overshot the field, turned about and was letting down when he hit a 12-foot hedge on a 700-foot ridge. The aircraft crossed a valley and struck on the other side against a 650-foot hit. Eight persons were killed, 14 seriously injured and two uninjured. At the time he had 1,485 hours of flying including 379 solo hours on Dakotas. Accident ruled to be due to "culpable negligence". No citation to Mention in Despatches

As 435 Sqn's ORB states:"Court of Inquiry scheduled to convene at 10.30 Feb.14". Is there any chance to get a written report about that and if so, where?
Also I've found a couple of discrepancies between sources. In most of the documents location of the crash appears as Beech Farm in Warlingham. In 435 Sqn's ORB location was described as ''Warlington''. I don't know this area so I'm not sure if there is a place like Warlington near by. Widow of S.Brzezina, who was sadly killed in that accident, received a letter which stated that Dakota crashed at 11.35. In 435.Sqn's ORB I can see slightly different time: 11.45. Which one is correct? Finally, does anyone know if there is a complete list of passengers and all the victims?

Thanks in advance.
Old 4th December 2009, 18:04
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough
Re: Dakota KG397

Peter,

Your question is answered extensively on website Raf Commands, but may I add that passenger Durdin can be identified as S/L Oliver W. Durdin (C3622, RCAF) of No. 83 Group HQ.

Regards,

Leendert