Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 8th March 2010, 19:59
Alter Hase

byron- is on a distinguished road
my new book "Die Kriegsmarine in der Ägäis 1941-1944"

Dearfriends,

On September 27th, 2008 I had announced my new book as follows:
After many years of research and study of almost all the existing war diaries of the German Navy (Kriegsmarine), the priceless help of eager friends and the bibliography created by industrious people that dealt with the subject with much love, I wish to present my new book:

DIE KRIEGSMARINE IN DER ÄGÄIS IM II. WK. 1941-1944

Schiffe, Einheiten, Fp.Nr., Offiziere, Gefechte

that is,

THE GERMAN NAVY IN THE AEGEAN SEA DURING WORLD WAR II, 1941-1944
Ships, units, field post numbers, officers, and naval engagements

BYRON TESAPSIDES
Hardcover, 302 pages, 120 photos (14 in color) and naval engagements’ sketches
Language: German
ISBN : 978-960-930812-0
Price: 35,00 Euros + shipping costs (courier 8.- Euros)

I have tried to collect all units of the German Navy operating in Greece during the occupation, their personnel, field post numbers, the names of all German officers and of the boat/ship commanders.
All the above also refers to the Coastal Protection Flotillas (Küstenschutzflottillen) Attika, Saloniki, Lemnos, Crete, Dodecanese, Western Greece and Peloponnese.
I, also, thought it wise to collect the names and information about all the motorboats (around 2,000) in German service and the ones that joined the Allies, based on Mr. Hristos Dounis’ excellent book.
Various engagements of German ships/boats with Allied airplanes are described in the original documentation of the war diaries.

Information and documents I have recently collected made me decide to work out and expand the book. I would like to present the second updated edition of my book today in this forum.

I have, also, added the following in this effort of mine:
1. A special chapter on the cement ships with rare photos
2. Update of the ship directory (especially of the M/S in German service)
3. New officers and ships
4. A new chapter with reports of engagements between German ships and Allied aircraft.

As for the attacks and, usually, sinking of the German ships, they are described in original reports by the officers in charge, commanding officers or gunners of the anti-aircraft crews, and they include the development of the engagement with text and sketches.

War diaries of the following units and formations have been used for the reports:
5. Gebirgsdivision, Admiral Südost, 12. Küstenschutzflottille Attika, 31. Bordflakabteilung (Piräus), Admiral Ägäis, 12. Räumbootflottille, 21. U-Boot-Flottille, 9. Torpedobootsflottille, “The official history of the Italian Navy in world war II” and the book “I MAS E LE MOTOSILURANTI ITALIANE”.

Among other new chapters are the following:

Preparations and the conduct of Operation MERKUR May 1941 (the invasion of Crete)
leichte Schiffsstaffel Kreta (Light motorship group) survivors’ reports
The sinking of Marburg and Kybels
Destruction of the M/S LI, LV, LVI, LXIV
Sinking of Ithaka
Torpedoing of Nino-Bixio
Description of the Thisbe engagement
Description of the M/S Seeräuber engagement
Description of the M/S Amsel engagement
Description of the M/S Amsel engagement
Description of the freighter Sabine engagement
Description of the freighter Tanais engagement
Description of the M/S Fink engagement
Description of the M/S Michele engagement
Description of the freighter Orion engagement
Description of the M/S Nordmark engagement
Description of the freighter Carola engagement
Description of the freighter Toni engagement
Description of the freighter Tergestea engagement
Description of the freighter Porto Fino engagement
Description of the freighter Teti engagement
UJ-2101 sinking of the Greek submarine Katsonis
UJ-2102 sinking of the Greek submarine Triton
Description of the UJ-2105 anti-submarine ship engagement on 24 September 1943 in the Ionian Sea
Description of the engagement and finally sinking of the anti-submarine ship UJ-2101 on 1 June 1944
Description of the engagement and sinking of the anti-submarine ship UJ-2105 on 1 June 1944
Destruction of the UJ-2101, UJ-2105, freighter. Sabine, freighter Gerturd and TA-16 convoy on 1 June 1944
Sinking of the high-speed boat LS-6
Destruction of transports F 308, 327, 496, 336, 532 and of the freighter Olympos
Report of the operation to disarm the Italians in the Cyclades
Sinking of the R-188
Sinking of the R-192
What happened to the Italian MAS and MS torpedo-boats in the Aegean after the Italian Armistice

Each new book costs 39,00 Euros + shipping (8,00 Euros by courier)

All Forum members buying the new book will also receive (free of charge) the War Diary of the Attika Naval Command (Kriegstagebuch Seeko Attika 1941-1944) on a CD. The ones who had bought the first edition of the book will receive, in addition, the War Diary of Battle Group Müller (Kampfgruppe Müller) for the occupation of the Dodecanese islands during the autumn of 1943.

Best regards

Byron Tesapsides
Old 3rd April 2010, 11:20

Richard Aigner is on a distinguished road
Re: my new book "Die Kriegsmarine in der Ägäis 1941-1944"

Hello Byron,
I would like to order one copy, second edition.
Please let me know how to do it.
Greetings Richard Aigner
Old 25th April 2010, 23:41

thenelm is on a distinguished road
Re: my new book "Die Kriegsmarine in der Ägäis 1941-1944"

Did this title ever see the light of day? I've never seen any reference to it other than here. Sounds like a fascinating book.