Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 28th April 2012, 01:03

Franz von Werra is on a distinguished road
"ETC-Aufhängung" - what is it??

I am in the process of translating an article that a fellow member kindly provided (see my other post). However, there is one word that puzzles me: "ETC-Aufhängung". What is it? I just know it refers to "something" in a He.111, and nothing else. Internet search is a waste of time since Google reads it as "et cetera". Can anybody provide an English translation or at least a plain explanation? Thanks, Franz.
Old 28th April 2012, 03:27
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road
Re: "ETC-Aufhängung" - what is it??

ETC likely referring to the bombracks under the He 111 fuselage (H-6 onwards ?), ESAC were bomb-racks/vertical-carriers inside He 111 fuselage, "Aufhängung" translates as Suspension, so rest of context then dictates (relates) if this was bomb releasing from ETC but I think more likely suspensing (hanging) larger bombs on ETC racks under the fuselage. But I am not that fluent I can spot if this applies here. Hope this gives perhaps a clue.

Last edited by edNorth; 28th April 2012 at 03:28. Reason: typo
Old 28th April 2012, 03:40
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

Had a glance at the article, not a full read now. Version of this He 111 is H-6 (VQ+BA or VQ+BJ ?) with VS Schwarz Wood props (i.e. Jumo 211 F/J engines) - and backed by some others I have noted in my files near this W.Nr. - and the H-6 version had two ETC racks under the fuselage, for carring bombs externally. This was because there were fuel tanks in fuselage where ESAC carriers were before.
Old 28th April 2012, 06:29

Rulaman is on a distinguished road

ETC is an acronym. ETC = elektrischer Träger für cylindrische Außenlasten, say more or less "electric rack/carrier for outside carried payload".

HTH

Rulaman