Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 4th September 2008, 21:38

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road
Luftwaffe Airfields in Italy

Gentlemen,

while going through Luftwaffe loss returns covering the period from October to December 1943 I have come across two cover-designations for airfields occupied by Luftwaffe units that I want to allocate to their correct geographical names; they are

Flugplatz 254 A and 254 B

From what I have discovered so far they should be Fiano Romano and Marcigliana, both airfields in the vicinity of Rome. Can anyone confirm this and tell which is which ? Or do these designations stand for other airfields and if so, which ?

Any input will be appreciated.

Regards

Jochen Prien
Old 4th September 2008, 22:34
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Luftwaffe Airfields in Italy

Hallo Jochen,

I have Fl.Pl. 245 as Marcigliana but I will look further to see of I have any references to 245A and 245B.
Old 4th September 2008, 23:04

Doug Stankey is on a distinguished road
Re: Luftwaffe Airfields in Italy

According to the Vectorglobe digitized atlas, coords of the towns are:

Fiano Romano - 42° 10’ 01” N and 12° 35’ 02” E about 30 km N of Rome.
Marcigliana – 42° 01’ 08” N and 12° 30’ 57” E about 10 km N of Rome.

Hopefully these are the correct locations. Checking these against Google Earth shows that suitable fields are near by. Google Street Level is getting close to that area. Maybe someday we can virtually visit the sites!

It seems to me that having a copy of Vectorglobe would be beneficial to you. It contains 2.5 million placesand is extremely helpful for those troublesome eastern front names. I recommend the SE version as it can be installed to the hard drive for very quick installation. For more information see:

http://www.cartografx.com/

Or you could just ask me!