Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 6th August 2015, 13:21

Tango Echo Dog is on a distinguished road
Russian nickname for Stukas

I read somewhere, and I cannot recall where, that the Russians called the Ju-87 'Boot' or 'Clog', as well as names which may not be suitable for this forum. Can anyone clarify this?
Old 6th August 2015, 19:55
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough
Re: Russian nickname for Stukas

T E D,

In this list the Ju-87 is (also) called "Lopata" or spade.

See http://www.zweiter-weltkrieg-lexikon...-dt-Flugzeuge/

Regards,

Leendert
Old 6th August 2015, 23:38

Paul Thompson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Echo Dog View Post
I read somewhere, and I cannot recall where, that the Russians called the Ju-87 'Boot' or 'Clog'...
Ted,

The term you are looking for is "лаптежник", a derivative of "лапоть", the Russian bast shoe. The landing gear spats of the Ju 87 were thought to resemble lapti by Soviet observers.

Regards,

Paul
Old 11th August 2015, 12:08

kirche is on a distinguished road

Good day,
the Russians never called Ju-87 - "Lopata" (spade). Also incorrectly translated nicknames 'Boot' or 'Clog'.
Most often the Ju-87 Russians called "Laptezhnik ("clad in Russian bast shoes"), as already said Paul. Rarely are the nicknames "Lapotnik" (same thing), or briefly "Lapot'".
It seems in the photo?: http://i.blog.fontanka.ru/photos/201...ehjuR499jW.jpg
Also refers to the nicknames "Pevun" (Songster) and "Muzikant" (Musician) for the characteristic sound when the Ju-87 swooped down.
The pilots of the VVS RKKA in the memoirs and reports usually called Ju-87 is much easier - "Junkers".
Once seen in the memoirs of the nickname "Gorbatiy" (hunchback), but it's more often used for Il-2.
regards,
Kirill