Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation before the Second World War.

Old 8th May 2009, 13:07

David Hardisty is on a distinguished road
Kampfgruppe 88 in Spain

Hallo

I am researching merchant ships which were attacked - both at sea and in port - by this squadron during the Spanish civil war.

It would be appreciated if anyone could privde me with any information whatsover regarding these atacks, dates, successes etc and any other background information such as where they were based in Spain, lossess etc.

I am only interested in their actions against shipping and not attacks on land. If anyone does - and it is a big hope - anyone can direct me to where I could obtain the same information on Italian aircraft I would indeed be indebted to you.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to reply - you may contact me direct if you wish at sinbadqrm@yahoo.co.uk

Regards and hope you find what you are looking for

David
Old 11th May 2009, 00:44

fran
Re: Kampfgruppe 88 in Spain

Hello David,
K88 did not atack merchant ships. That was the task of the AS/88.
There are several published books on the subject.
Regards
Old 11th May 2009, 16:05

Thank yo Fran for taking the time and trouble to provide me with the info - being ex Merchant Navy only have a limited knowledge on anything which does not float on water.

Would it be too much trouble to ask if you could suggest the names/ISBN of the books you mentioned - would appreciate it if you could.

If you would like to know anything about tankers please ask and will do my best to provide the correct info

David
Old 16th May 2009, 11:22

hanshauprich is on a distinguished road

AS/88 fly the one and only Torpedoattack against an (British?) merchant ship in 1937. There is an new book about the AS/88 published in Spain this year. If you are interested I look for the authors, title etc.
Old 17th May 2009, 11:27

Hallo Hans - Thank you for taking the trouble to reply. Yes I would be interested in the book which you mentioned and, if it is not too much trouble, have the deatils. It would appear, from what information I have collated so far a number of ships were sunk/damaged by Italian aircraft also.

Regards
David

P.S you may care to take a look at my website
http://pladju.co.uk/
Old 18th May 2009, 10:36

hanshauprich is on a distinguished road

Hallo David, look here: www.gallandbooks.com and then go to the title Gladius. The title "As de Picas".