Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 22nd January 2007, 23:07

atckyrre is an unknown quantity at this point
Ju 290 ops from France to Norway?

Sirs,

Having read up on KG40 Fw200 operations I've learned that reconnaisance missions took place where they'd take off from for instance Merignac, out into the Atlantic, around Ireland and the UK and then they'd land at Stavanger or Værnes in Norway before a reciprocal return mission.

I understand FAGr5 flew the Junkers 290 in the first half of '44. Did they fly similar missions?

Kyrre
Old 22nd January 2007, 23:31

Re: Ju 290 ops from France to Norway?

Just to answer my own question I found once instance of a Greenland evacuation flight flying to Værnes on June 3 1944.

http://www.warcovers.dk/greenland/flight.htm

Very interesting website by the way.

Kyrre
Old 23rd January 2007, 22:30

Günther Ott

Apart from the already mentioned evacuation flight for a German weather station from Greenland to Norway there were no other Ju 290 missions in the Nordic areas. Full coverage of the Ju 290 history is given in the book "Die Großen Dessauer Junkers Ju 89, Ju 90, Ju 290, Ju 390" published by Karl Kössler and myself in 1993. Btw.: The Ju 290 colour photo on that website has been copied from the cover of our book without asking for permission, same as most other data were taken from Franz Selinger's book "Von Nanok bis Eismitte" published in 2001.

Günther Ott
Old 24th January 2007, 00:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Günther Ott View Post
Apart from the already mentioned evacuation flight for a German weather station from Greenland to Norway there were no other Ju 290 missions in the Nordic areas. Full coverage of the Ju 290 history is given in the book "Die Großen Dessauer Junkers Ju 89, Ju 90, Ju 290, Ju 390" published by Karl Kössler and myself in 1993. Btw.: The Ju 290 colour photo on that website has been copied from the cover of our book without asking for permission, same as most other data were taken from Franz Selinger's book "Von Nanok bis Eismitte" published in 2001.

Günther Ott
I appreciate your feedback, Günther. I find the German weather ops around the Arctic very interesting and shall be looking for both yours and Selingers books.

Regards,
Kyrre
Sola, Norwegen.
Old 25th January 2007, 04:22

kb

fascinating thread
Old 25th January 2007, 10:05

I find it particularly interesting that they managed to bring 26 people back from Greenland in 9V+MK. I wonder if brought any equipment back or if it was all left behind for the Americans to find.

To Günther: Was the trap-door in the back still in use on the FAGr-machines? Or was this blocked off when they were not used primarily for transport anymore?

Regards,
Kyrre