Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 26th April 2006, 22:26
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road
616 Squadron Meteor pilots WW2

Hi guys

For my forthcoming book on V-1 flying bombs I have traced a number of former Meteor jet pilots who flew against them. I am hoping to meet one or two shortly and wondered if any of you have questions that you would like me to put to them? I can't promise anything but offer you this unique opportunity. Let me know asap.

Cheers
Brian
Old 18th May 2006, 02:00

bearoutwest is on a distinguished road
Re: 616 Squadron Meteor pilots WW2

Hello Brian,

I've only just found this thread, so you've probably already conducted your interviews. If not, or if you intend to revisit these Meteor pilots - here's a couple of questions that are of interest to me:

- Did they do much night flying in Meteors during WW2?

- If these gentlemen were part of the deployment to Belgium in early 1945, were any of them involved in the dogfight that almost happened between the Meteor flight and a flight of FW190s? Any recollections of the event, and the unfortunate bounce by Allied Mustangs or Tempests?

- What was the Meteor like to operate from the forward air bases in Belgium?

- Any recollections of the bombing raid on the Meteor base by a Ar 234 - most likely the first jet v jet combat in history, though not in the air.

- Would they care to share their thoughts on what the Meteor was like to fly when operated down low in strafing missions on German airfields, road transport, etc? Did it handle more smoothly than propellor-driven aircraft?

Thanks & regards,
...geoff
Old 19th May 2006, 19:07
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road
Re: 616 Squadron Meteor pilots WW2

Hi Geoff

I will see what I can do but I fear that too many years have passed for detailed recollections.

Cheers
Brian