Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 10th June 2005, 07:39

NickM
Need help with 92 sqd losses in North Africa;

I am hoping someone among you who has access to the books by John Foreman and/or Norman Franks on fighter command's operations & losses can help me with this quest...Well here goes:
Leo Nomis, a vet of 92 sqdr had a recollection in Hauglands, "The Eagles War" about a patrol flown by 92 sqdr 'around the time' of the lead in to the Battle of El Alemain; the 8 Spit V's was bounced by a pair of very expertly flown Me 109s & lost 3 planes shot down & several others damaged before the '109s broke off the engagement; I dont' suppose anyone can pinpoint the date that this fight occur & the actual losses incurred? I figure 3 Spits lost in a single battle would stand out in the records;
Anyways, I figure if I can get the dates of the losses I can check out the famous LW claim list to see who claimed on the same date, time & place;

Thank you all--ahead of time;

NickM
Old 10th June 2005, 15:06
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Need help with 92 sqd losses in North Africa;

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM
I am hoping someone among you who has access to the books by John Foreman and/or Norman Franks on fighter command's operations & losses can help me with this quest...Well here goes:
Leo Nomis, a vet of 92 sqdr had a recollection in Hauglands, "The Eagles War" about a patrol flown by 92 sqdr 'around the time' of the lead in to the Battle of El Alemain; the 8 Spit V's was bounced by a pair of very expertly flown Me 109s & lost 3 planes shot down & several others damaged before the '109s broke off the engagement; I dont' suppose anyone can pinpoint the date that this fight occur & the actual losses incurred? I figure 3 Spits lost in a single battle would stand out in the records;
Anyways, I figure if I can get the dates of the losses I can check out the famous LW claim list to see who claimed on the same date, time & place;

Thank you all--ahead of time;

NickM
Nick: see my reply to you on the Luftwaffe portion of this Board