Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 24th January 2020, 14:53

jmg1626 is on a distinguished road
Smile Luftwaffe radio chatter

Hi all, new here. For a writing project I am looking for transcripts or recordings of Luftwaffe radio chatter. Preferably between pilot/gunner/aimer/bombardier, and preferably translated to English. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would also be interested in RAF or USAF examples as well. Thanks!
Old 24th January 2020, 23:20

MW Giles is on a distinguished road
Re: Luftwaffe radio chatter

Like Vegas, what is said in the aircraft tends to stay in the aircraft

There are recordings of RAF bomber crews recorded by the BBC, Dimbleby comes to mind, but everyone is on their best behaviour

There are also reports of crews that pressed the transmit button by accident and transmitted their discussions to the world. It is remarkable how these occasions differ from the staged recordings, but I have never seen a verbatim account, just snippets

The best you are likely to do is read autobiographies and take them with a pinch of salt

Officially, in the RAF anyway, discussion and talk was discouraged. You were there to do a job and the pilot did not need someone banging on about beer and women when the rear gunner was desperately trying to tell him something about a fighter

Unless someone knows different, I think this is correct

Martin
Old 24th January 2020, 23:47
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Luftwaffe radio chatter

I am afraid I have never seen or heard of such from a Luftwaffe point of view as Martin says unless you take wartime fictional films

Tags
audio, chatter, transcript