Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 11th July 2020, 19:26

phasselgren is on a distinguished road
Any claims by 813 and 824 Sqns against Italian fighters 4 Sep 40?

Hi,

In the morning of 4 September 1940 Swordfish torpedo-bombers from HMS Eagle’s 813 and 824 Squadrons attacked Maritza airfield on Rhodes. They were intercepted by Italian CR32s and CR42s. Four of the Swordfish were shot down but one CR32 failed to return from the combat.

Did any of the Swordfish squadrons make any claim against the Italian fighters? I checked some books including Air War for Yugoslavia, Greece and Crete but found nothing about British claims.

Thanks in advance
Peter
Old 24th January 2021, 14:04

Ludovico Slongo is on a distinguished road
Re: Any claims by 813 and 824 Sqns against Italian fighters 4 Sep 40?

Dear Peter,

I saw only now your post. I fear my answer arrives late, but I hope it could be of interest for you anyway.

Some years ago I was lucky to receive detailed information on the Italian side of this combat from a friend of mine that was studying this sector.
From primary sources (Diary of Comando Aeronautica Egeo and reports of the fighter pilots that took off), the British attack was recorded in the early hours of the day, from 4.30 to 5.15 a.m. (in local time as recorded by the Italians).

At 10.50, so hours after the attack, 20-years-old serg. Aristodemo Morri of 163a Squadriglia, took off from Maritza for a standing patrol on CR 32 M.M. 4222. The plane suffered some sort of engine problem and fell at the end of the airstrip soon after leaving the ground. So there is no connection with the defensive fire of the RN bombers. Morri died in the crash.
From the pilot report's it seems that the British gunners inside the shot down planes hold the fire against them to the very last, but they didn't record any significant damage to their machines (even if it is higly likely, considering the very nature of these WWI style engagements, that they were hit in some places).

One CR 42 piloted by ten. Genesio De Nicola, was hit in the engine by a bomb splinter during the early morning scramble against the Swordfishes and -while aborting the take off- hit a parked S.81 causing some damage to both planes. He was unhurth, so he run to another plane and took off again.

with Regards

Ludovico
Old 24th January 2021, 19:18

phasselgren is on a distinguished road
Re: Any claims by 813 and 824 Sqns against Italian fighters 4 Sep 40?

Dear Ludovico,

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. Time is no problem when I get the information I need.

Regards
Peter