Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 8th July 2010, 00:09

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road
two Wurmheller claims

Gentlemen,

Josef Wurmheller, then still an Unteroffizier with 5./JG 53, filed two claims in October 1940 that leave a number of questions which I hope to be able to answer with your help.

On October 12th, Wurmheller filed a claim for a Spitfire shot down 60 kms north of Brest at 12.15 hrs.

Four days later, on October 16th, he claimed to have downed a Blenheim at 15.20 hrs northnortheast of the Ile d'Ouessant.

Can aynbody shed some light on these incidents such as the British units involved, their task and - if any losses occured - the identity of the victims ?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards

Jochen Prien
Old 8th July 2010, 07:29
Alter Hase

Nokose will become famous soon enough
Re: two Wurmheller claims

Nothing listed in "Royal Air Force Fighter Command Losses of the Second World War" by Norman L.R. Franks for a Spitfire on the 12Oct40 in the western part of England being shot down. Someone might have something for damage. I don't have anything on Coastal Command to check there.
Old 8th July 2010, 08:34
Alter Hase

robert is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I have

12.10.40 Hurricane 421 Sqn F/L Green
16.10.40 he probably attacked a Blenheim from 59 Sqn which was conducting armed reconnaissance between Le Havre and Cherbourg but the Brtish plane returned undamaged.
Perhaps someone could confirm/amend this data?

Regards

Robert
Old 8th July 2010, 09:17

Blenheim

As far as I am aware the only Blenheim lost on 16/10/40 crashed in a forced landing in Somerset while on a ferry flight. So if Wurmheller did attack a Blenheim, it wasn't shot down or even badly damaged.
Old 8th July 2010, 09:41

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road

Dear Nokose, Robert and Hugh,

many thanks for your kind assistance. Your answers confirm my suspicions that these claims have to be treated with a healthy portion of scepticism.

Any further input is still welcome.

Kind regards

Jochen Prien
Old 8th July 2010, 10:06

Gizmo

Hi,

For 12th October it was not a Hurricane, but Spitfire II P7441 from 421 Flight, F/L C. O. Green wounded and baled out over Pembles Cross Farm. My source is BoB Then and Now Mk2.
Old 8th July 2010, 10:18
Alter Hase

Johannes has a spectacular aura aboutJohannes has a spectacular aura aboutJohannes has a spectacular aura about

Hi Jochen

I guess you have worked out that most of Jg2's pilot's made fraudulent claims, perhaps the worst was Wurmheller. Egon Mayer had a problem with the guy, I believe that is was that he suspected him as a fraud. It is easy to be mistaken in a claim or two, but not to the degree of Wurmheller, his claims were as outragous as Douglas Bader! Sad thing is that Jg26's were very reliable, and they were generally on the same front. Possible though it was who was the Kommandeur who determined accuratcy in the claiming, or even down to Staffelkapitan level.

Johannes
Old 8th July 2010, 19:46
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

I have no record of any Coastal Command combats with Bf 109s on 16 Oct 40 whilst 59 Sqn reported no missions on 16 Oct 40