Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 25th April 2012, 11:00

Marcel Hogenhuis will become famous soon enough
Post Re: He 219 found in Denmark !!!

hello Thomas,

First of all: the enlarged intake is NOT a distinctive feature for the A-7 subtype as has been written over and over again. The discovery of that popular, but erronous misconception, was done by Ron Ferguson who has written a research paper on the He219. There is photographic evidence that enlarged air intakes were also applied (or modified later) on 'early' A-0 subtypes.

Secondly: the air intake you see on the (beautiful!) photo is not related to the engine but the Kärcher heating system. I mixed up these too once

Yes, you have read it well: the A-5 was just a planned production model for which some prototypes were prepared/modified but this subtype never went into any substantial (10 or more) production. It is comparible to the planned B-1. It was never produced but of the D-1 at least 5 aircraft have been built in Wien-Schwechat.

I am certainly not the He219 expert, but I built an extensive database on the He219's, thanks to the much appreciated support from air war reseachers all over the world and many contributors of this board and Peter D. Evans Luftwaffe Experten Message Board (www.luftwaffe-experten.org). Since March 2011 a new, intensive effort has been made to assemble and process as many primary sources in order to put an end to the many myths and anomalies. Thus, a better insight in the complete He219 production (exceeding the 300!) is just one of the results which will be published in a planned He219 reference work.

All the best, Marcel
Old 25th April 2012, 11:11

thlund is on a distinguished road
Re: He 219 found in Denmark !!!

Thanks Marcel

Until this monday the 219 was just one of many great plane, but since I was there it has turned into something else! Still an amateur on that one, but trying to learn (fast) :-)

By the way - the glass (?) covering the landing lights were amber coloured - was that normal or is it because of all the years on the bottom of the ocean? Surpriced me.

With regards to models - cannot wait for the new Revell 1/32 He219!!
Old 25th April 2012, 11:14

Clint Mitchell is on a distinguished road

Ju88 had amber landing light covers.
Old 25th April 2012, 11:24

Kim Christiansen is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: He 219 found in Denmark !!!

Hello

I have just spoken to a person,who has seen the crash in daytime, before the liberation of Denmark in 1945.

He said that he heard the plane come in low altitude from land towards the sea, but suddenly became quiet (Motorstop) and ditched in the water.

Greetings
Kim C

Last edited by Kim Christiansen; 25th April 2012 at 12:23.
Old 25th April 2012, 11:49

Hello Kim,

That's great news, an eye witness after all ! 1945 would also confirm the thesis that this crash can't have happened earlier than September/October 1944.

The most obvious questions to ask:
- was it before or after the liberation of Denmark?
- where is the camera footage of this ditching?

Good luck! Marcel
Old 25th April 2012, 11:56

thlund is on a distinguished road

By the way Marcel

If you are going to talk to your Daimler-Benz expert friend, could you ask why the later models (cannot remember here if it was the 603, but certainly the 605) used different compression ratio's in the two cylinder banks? I have been wondering that for some time and haven't gotten a definitive answer yet.
Old 25th April 2012, 12:02

SES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Christiansen View Post
Hello

I just received information that a person has seen the crash in 1945,
he said that he heard the plane come in low altitude from land towards the sea, but suddenly became quiet (Motorstop, engine failure) and ditched in the water

I am trying to get in contact with him !

Greetings
Kim C
Hi Kim,
I have been thinking that since the crash was so close to the shore, the lifeboat from Hirtshals must have been involved in the rescue so there must be a note in their log, and there must be an entry in the KTB of the Hafenkapitän.
bregds
SES
Old 25th April 2012, 12:56

SES

Hi,
The KTB has not been preserved, so now our hopes are on the records of the life boat.
bregds
SES
Old 25th April 2012, 14:12

Hello Michaël,

In a discussion forum about Luftwaffe subjects, this question must be asked elsewhere perhaps BUT: are there KTB's of the German infantery units defending the Danish coastline?

Just loud thinking! All the best, Marcel
Old 25th April 2012, 14:20

SES

Hi Marcel,
I'm sure there were, but I'm afraid they are gone with the Nerobefehl as well. We have, however, located the records of the lifeboat in Hirtshals. The www has been glowing here in Denmark all day. Jørn will have a hard time chatching up when he gets home from work.
bregds
SES