Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 1st May 2005, 18:18

F10_Chainsaw is on a distinguished road
Flak around Airfields?

I was sitting and doing a Mission for the Flight simulator IL2 and started to add up AA guns around the airfield for protection and my friend started argueing about that it was to much so I started thinking and comed to the conclusion that I have no what so ewer knowledge of Flak units that defended german airfields in the West at all, I have knowledge about Flak Regiments in Infantry and armoured divisions for the Heer but nothing about LWs flak regiments (?) for protection of airfields. does anyone know or know a good site about howe a defense around an Airfield was formed?

How many batteries would it have and what caliber would it have? I asume it would be mixed to be able to handle both High level flying airplanes as well as ground straffing planes...

But then again I have no clue.

Do You?

Best Regards the Newbie on this great site, Chainsaw
Old 2nd May 2005, 18:37

SES
Re: Flak around Airfields?

Hi F10,

I don't know the standard configuration but I can give you one historic example which I can document: Fliegerhorst Grove Denmark 15 JAN 1945.
4 Batteries 8,8 cm Flak, 6 guns in each. 1 Bat 500 m N of E-W runway one 500 m south. One bat 500 m NW and one 1500 m NE.
14 Flak-Zuge (sic) 3 guns a piece, consisting of 3,7 cm, 2 cm and 2 cm Vierling close to vital point that needed protection.
bregds
SES
Old 2nd May 2005, 18:44

Thank You wery much SES!

That gaved me something to aim at atleast!

Thank You wery much again SES.

/Chainsaw

(PS. F10 is the virtual squadron i fly in IL2 with, visit us at www.f10vs.tk )
Old 2nd May 2005, 20:03

SES

Hi,

You are welcome.
SES
Drakridder 1986
Old 3rd May 2005, 22:13
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road

This kind of heavy Flak defences was only found around big all-weather bases.

In 44-45, Luftwaffe German units operated mostly from secondary bases (clearing in woods and so on), discretion being more efficient than Flak to avoid strafings. The JG 26 gives some examples of Flak defences that are rather light. If you want I will give you the exact numbers but 6-12 light/medium AA guns are what remains in my memory.
Old 4th May 2005, 09:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurent Rizzotti
This kind of heavy Flak defences was only found around big all-weather bases.

In 44-45, Luftwaffe German units operated mostly from secondary bases (clearing in woods and so on), discretion being more efficient than Flak to avoid strafings. The JG 26 gives some examples of Flak defences that are rather light. If you want I will give you the exact numbers but 6-12 light/medium AA guns are what remains in my memory.
I would love to get thos figures Laurent!

Thank you in advance
/Chainsaw
Old 4th May 2005, 10:26

Peter Spoden

Gentlemen,

at the end of war (April 1945 in Schleissheim) we had 2 cm Flak (Vierling) about 1/2 mile away from airport at qms (line of approach) to protect nightfighters.

When approaching after mission (flying very low) we were often followed by mosquitos. We informed tower about our approach and the 2 cm Flak unit was ready for searchlights and shooting just after we have passed over them.

In a few cases they were successful.

regards Peter Spoden
Old 4th May 2005, 10:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Spoden
Gentlemen,

at the end of war (April 1945 in Schleissheim) we had 2 cm Flak (Vierling) about 1/2 mile away from airport at qms (line of approach) to protect nightfighters.

When approaching after mission (flying very low) we were often followed by mosquitos. We informed tower about our approach and the 2 cm Flak unit was ready for searchlights and shooting just after we have passed over them.

In a few cases they were successful.

regards Peter Spoden

Intressting, do You know how many flak guns there was for that purpose?
Old 4th May 2005, 15:42

NickM

F10: Chainsaw:

I don't have first hand experience but I do recall from my readings that the consensus among allied pilots was that strafing attacks on German airfields was not conducive to one's operational survival; I too play "IL2" & all I can say is, the more light flak the better; however, unless you have a VERY muscular PC system all the graphic 'tracer bullet' effects can really slow down your framerate, so a balance has to be found;

NickM
Old 4th May 2005, 20:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM
F10: Chainsaw:
unless you have a VERY muscular PC system all the graphic 'tracer bullet' effects can really slow down your framerate, so a balance has to be found;

NickM
Yeah, and the fact that one gun in IL2 has same effectivines as 4 in real life... they are overkill.... so U need to Half the size in Il2 as in real life