Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 30th August 2006, 14:02

smudger3 is on a distinguished road
Stirling Recovery

I was contacted late last night by a rather distressed relative of a crew I researched a number of years ago. It would appear unbeknown to her the wreckage of her brothers aircraft is to be recovered.

The conversation with the relative suggests that the remains / wreckage of a Short Stirling is to be recovered, however all the crew of eight including the relatives brother are still recorded on the CWGC site as “Missing”. The relative is concerned that the site is to be “ pillaged”.
The aircraft in question was EH925 IC-C of No.623 Squadron which FTR from Berlin on August 23/24th 1943. The Welsh pilot, Squadron Leader W.H.B Hiles DSO, DFC was a screened two tour pilot who at the time of his death was serving at No.3 Group HQ.

Due to the sensitivity of the subject and the unconfirmed reports I have received I would appreciate any feedback on the recovery. The relative is very distressed by the news, which was sent via a researcher in Berlin who wanted “back-ground” details.? Does anyone who frequents this forum research attacks on Berlin and specifically losses in and around the German capital and know of this recovery. ??
Old 30th August 2006, 17:02
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road
Re: Stirling Recovery

Very Sad Do,

Thank you for bringing it to the forum for attension

Chorley's Bomber Command Losses 1943 has the full crew listed.
One of whome was an American from New York City serving with the RCAF.

It may well be that the crew remain with their aircraft.

These days it depends on why the wreckage is being recovered.

If to recover the crew then thats one reason.
In this case the question " At who's request ?" should be asked as it seems that families had no knowledge. of the recovery.

If it is to recover parts for a rebuild of a very rare aircraft then that is a second reason .
In which case this should be halted now.(My opinion).

If to make way for so called future developement then this too should be halted now.(again my opinion).

The site should still be treated as a War Grave.

Alex

Old 30th August 2006, 18:33

smudger3 is on a distinguished road
Re: Stirling Recovery

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your input.

The relative is absolutely grief stricken at the prospect that the aircraft is to be dug-up.

I tried to explain that it maybe due to a new development and there maybe no alternative, even so she was upset that the remains of her brother maybe removed, even if with the prospect of a full military funeral.

The call via a “researcher” in Berlin was totally unexpected and caught the relative completely unawares, she was naturally upset.

The reason for my post was to establish the reason why the site was to be excavated and by who.

Regarding Desmond De Silva DFM, the tragedy with his death was at the time he was screened from operations and awaiting posting having completed his first tour with No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron, his pilot during his tour was S/Ldr Hiles. ?

Regards