Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 9th February 2005, 13:14

Kari Lumppio is on a distinguished road
305 Sqn (Polish) Mosquito SM-G "RZ399" question

Hello all!

I would like to ask a question for those who know 2 TAF colours and markings.

On the site "Polish squadrons rememered"
http://www.geocities.com/skrzydla/index.html

There is 305 Sqn history and also photo gallery, the latter at:
http://www.geocities.com/skrzydla1/305/Pic_gal.html

My question concerns the Mosquito photo titled:
"SM-G, RZ399"
http://www.geocities.com/skrzydla1/3...SM_G_RZ399.jpg

Search in "The Mosquito homepage" ( http://www.mossie.org/ ) makes me believe the correct code is actually PZ399.

The question is does the Mosquito SM-G in the photo wear 2 TAF post-Bodenplatte colours? I mean black spinners and blue-white-red cocades (was it type "C1"?) with yellow surround on upperside of wings? (Also on underside?).

The markings are of importance to me because I am interested in 305 Sqn Mosquito SM-B PZ401, or only two number apart from PZ399. SM-B was flown by Estonian pilot Endel Susi. I would like to model a plane flown by him.

Thanking in advance,
Kari
Old 9th February 2005, 14:01
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road
Kari
Aircraft with neighbouring serials may have served with significant intervals within one unit.
Old 9th February 2005, 15:08

Kari Lumppio is on a distinguished road
Hello Franek!

Yes you are quite right. Please see this 305 Sqn Battle Order for 20/21 Feb, 1945:
http://www.geocities.com/skrzydla1/3...tleorder_1.jpg

Could the Mossie (SM-)G "PZ299" in the list be the one in the photo (= actually PZ 399 or is it indeed PZ299)? The order has also Susi/Pruszynski (SM-)B PZ401. So the two particular Mosquitos (PZ399 & PZ401) might have served during the same period.

Regards,
Kari
Old 9th February 2005, 19:54
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road
Kari
Sorry but I do not have such details for 305 Sqn. The one must check dates in and out for particular aircraft and please note that even if it is the same SM-G, her external look could have changed during service. The safest way will be to take a camouflage pattern from this Mossie, shape of code letter from the only known photo of SM-B (showing the letter only) and other details from the aircraft photographed at the period of your interest. It seems colour of codes was white or Sky, another murky subject for 305 freaks.
A friend is currently working on something on Polish Mossies, so perhaps he has some more details. Will send you his contact details on PM.
Old 10th February 2005, 00:19

mhuxt
2nd TAF Markings

Hi Kari

If PZ401, SM-B is really the aircraft you're after, I think you're safe in assuming it had the 1945 2nd TAF markings. The 2nd TAF apparently decided to change the markings in early January 1945, and as the Air Ministry didn't specifically order them to stop, they went ahead with the changes, despite official grumblings.

The upper wing roundels were red, white, blue and yellow - nothing on the wing undersides. As for the spinners, the info I have says 2nd TAF was changing away from "Sky" colour on the spinners, but I don't know if they were changing specifically to black ("Night"?), however I've seen a profile of an aircraft from March '45 in which the spinners are indeed black.

Cheers,

Mark