Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 26th January 2006, 01:10

Franz von Werra is on a distinguished road
Info on 126 RAF Sqn. pilots needed

A friend of mine asked me for help in tracking down two pilots of 126 Squadron, that is, Wing Commander HANKS and P/O Rod Smith, who reportedly contributed to the shootdown of an Italian S.79 of 132 Gruppo, 278 Squadriglia on 13 August 1942 off Malta.

Does anybody know if any of the two pilots is still kicking and if the Sqn. records for that action are readily available (otherwise he may have to plan a trip to the PRO!)

Contact me in case you need more info
Thanks
FFW
Old 26th January 2006, 06:27
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road
Re: Info on 126 RAF Sqn. pilots needed

Peter Prosser Hanks died in 1986 in South Africa. Roderick Illinworth Alpine Smith died 2-3 years ago. According to Aces High, Hanks was credited with damaging the Sm.79, while Smith received credit for shooting it down.

Frank.
Old 26th January 2006, 12:30

niallc is on a distinguished road

Franz

I don't know if your friends' interest in this event is confined to RAF involvement, but you might like to know that relatives of Ten. Guido Barani (of the S.79 in question) posted a similar query in the "Information Exchange" pages of Aeroplane Magazine of Aug 2005. Their contact details are given there, or, if you don't have access to the magazine, PM me.

NiallC
Old 26th January 2006, 20:56

Franz von Werra is on a distinguished road

I think my contact mentioned that Ten. Barani was a member of his own family (or an acquired relative) at some stage in our correspondence, so he may be aware of that.
Old 4th February 2006, 12:10
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road

Hi Franz

This episode is covered in my book SPITFIRES OVER MALTA. If you let me have your address I will send you photocopies of the relevant pages.

Cheers
Brian