Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 7th September 2023, 20:15
Alter Hase

Nokose will become famous soon enough
Re: Against Hitler's Luftwaffe in the Balkans The Royal Yugoslav Air Force at War in 1941

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Beale View Post
I expect that the authors and publishers would be very happy if you bought a copy to find out!
Yes, I’m sure that they would. I still would like to know how detailed this book is before buying. I have spent money on books before that turned out with little information on what I was looking to obtain. There are a number of books that ended up being donated to Public Libraries for lack of information that I wanted.
Old 13th September 2023, 22:43
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Against Hitler's Luftwaffe in the Balkans The Royal Yugoslav Air Force at War in 1941

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokose View Post
Yes, I’m sure that they would. I still would like to know how detailed this book is before buying. I have spent money on books before that turned out with little information on what I was looking to obtain. There are a number of books that ended up being donated to Public Libraries for lack of information that I wanted.
It seems as soon as one asks questions regarding details, the author decides to stay silent....

Cheers
Stig
Old 22nd September 2023, 06:52

djnikcy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig Jarlevik View Post
Hi Djordje
Since most (if not all) of the April 1941 aspects have already been covered in various aircraft type monographs
published before your book, there is actually only one part that would interest me, the second line aircraft.
Can you please advise me how they get treated (Chapter V)?

Do we get all serial numbers, losses/captured data etc, etc?

Cheers
Stig

I am sorry I have been away, life sometimes gets in the way. With 12hr work day and child with leukemia at home, I am impressed I get as much one as I do. So, please be patient.

Chapters I thru IV are pure text with no photographs.

Chapter I covers the build up of VV from the period immediately after WW I until the eve of the April war.

Chapter II covers the last ditch reorganization efforts to prepare for the upcoming war which includes reorganization, foreign and domestic purchases.

Chapter III describes the order of battle of all VV units, their names, locations, commanding structure, aircraft types and quantity on strength.

Chapter IV, the April War, covers the war day by day with main events listed in bullet points. It describes aircraft and units which took parts on both sides, the locations of combat and outcomes. There are no in detail description or combat from first person perspective of either side as this was covered in other books.

Chapter V, with individual VV aircraft types which took part in the April war, briefly describe the history of each aircraft, introduction into VV service, their whereabouts and order of battle on the eve of the war and their use in the war. Again, this was not meant to be an exhaustive monograph about each type, each aircraft section has about 2-3 full pages of text and about 20-30 photographs, depending on the type. We have covered types not normally found in the other monographs (Rogozarski SIM XIV-X, Caproni 310/311, Fi-156 Storch, Bf-108 and Breguet 19). We have attempted to use as many photos not published before as possible. Chapter V takes most of the pages as it includes many aircraft types and many photos of the same. The S/Ns are covered in monographs or other books I am sure you are familiar which include one or more types, we have mentioned them where appropriate and generally mentioned quantity of aircraft captured and location.

Our intent was not to recycle the material from our previous books or other authors, but to represent it in a different way that would give a snapshot of the major events which took place during the April war and combat aircraft in VV service which took part in the war, both major and auxiliary types (often not included because of their lack of "exclusivity"). We have deliberately avoided including all the details, because as stated before such works have been published and as a lot of this information would mean little to a reader outside of the region not familiar with geography of the area. This is the book meant for everyone that wants to familiarize themselves about the April war and Yugoslav air force resistance against the Axis in one place without getting too involved in individual aircraft types.
Old 22nd September 2023, 06:55

djnikcy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokose View Post
Nokose,

Hopefully my answer above provides sufficient detail about my book. If you are interested in other aspects of it please let me know. As soon as I get my author's copy, i will post some photos here for everyone to see. Thank you for your interest.