Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Off Topic

Off Topic Please use this forum to discuss all off topic subjects.

Old 30th April 2024, 00:26

Tony Kambic will become famous soon enough
Pierre Clostermann -- Loved to fish?

Does anyone out there know about Pierre's post-war penchant for deep sea fishing? Please let me know.

Thanks
Tony
Old 30th April 2024, 09:42
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Re: Pierre Clostermann -- Loved to fish?

Tony,
Indeed, he wrote a book about his fishing experiences (here: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Pierre-Cl.../dp/2082004112) and, if memory does not fail me, travelled with his fishing rods (from Brazil to the UK - had to check where I read that).

Adriano
Old 30th April 2024, 13:32

Adriano,

Thanks for the reply. I never knew this.

So we're vacationing in Florida, and had lunch with our neighbor and her brother. They were born and raised in Pompano Beach Florida, where their father ran one of the first large fishing boats taking anglers out in the ocean for big fish.

This brother turns out became a helo pilot and served 2 years in Vietnam flying the OH-13, which is the US Army designation for the Bell 47 'Mash' type helo. He was wounded 4 times, the last one being sent back to the US for recovery.

He then returned to fishing. He traveled the Atlantic for fishing, and as a fishing captain, liked the waters off the Ivory Coast in Africa. He said there were lots of large Marlins there.

He befriended a French Politician who loved to fish, who he tells me that I may have heard of, a Pierre Clostermann.

I couldn't believe it. He said he became good friends with Pierre and they fished off Brazil also.

I asked him if he told him any stories, and he said a few here and there. He said Pierre was wounded fighting in the Algerian conflict, shot in the leg.

He said he has 2 signed copies of 'The Big Show'. Wanted to ask if he wants to sell one, but that will be at another time.

Tony
Old 1st May 2024, 21:16
Alter Hase

Tony,

That's a pretty nice story. Thank you for sharing it with us.

And what a small world that from some quite a number of fishing boat captains, Pierre when on holidays just picked up that one who was himself a Vietnam helicopter flyer veteran! They have talked and taken some beers and drinks together...sure! Yes, Pierre flew the "Broussard" on Algérie and wrote about that too, if you find his biography and books on the line. I do not know if that one was translated to English, but you can find his books on his original French language, although you know that he was born here in Brazil, in Curitiba, the birth-town of several WW2 Brazilian veterans, including the late Wing Commander Cosme Lockwoo Gomm, DSO, DFC.

I do have my own copy of the "Grand Cirque" signed by Clostermann, a gift from a friend of mine. If you get the chance to purchase one from the boat captain, I do advise and recommend you to do so. Firstly because this is the book that changed my life and get me to Aviation, as a Profession...secondly because you will not find those signed books by Clostermann anymore.

Of course, you will see, cross-checking some WW2 books and here on the Forum, that some stories described there are not totally and historically correct (including with the Operational Record Books of the RAF units he flew). It is nevertheless a lovely book to read and re-read (I have re-read it some 4/5 times, during the last 34 years).

Semper fi and all the best for you and yours.

Adriano, from Brazil.
Old 1st May 2024, 21:43
Alter Hase

Tony,

Just found his book about the air war in Algérie translated to English language:
https://www.amazon.com/Leo-25-Airbor...=hdLO0de54f4k4

This is the tittle I do have in Portuguese:
https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/...lostermann-_JM

Hope you will able to find one. This is also a nice book, but not of the same caliber of "the Big Show".

A.
Old 2nd May 2024, 21:17

Adriano,

Thanks for all the info. Clostermann’s book “The Big Show” became my bible when I was in my teens. I read it about 20 times. Just amazing reading. I have 4 copies, 2 paperbacks, 1 from a UK library, and 1 in French. I can read some French.

I also have his “Flames in the Sky”.

And I have kept up with all the over claimers, etc. but it doesn’t take away from what he saw and did. I’m so glad Kermit Weeks in Florida is rebuilding a Mk 5 Tempest.

A little more now of the helo pilot. I got his name and saw his DD214. He earner a DFC with 5 clusters? His name is Thomas Barkley Garnsey. When I placed his name in Google, I gets lots of fishing hits.

I’m going to ask if he wants to sell one of his signed copies of the Big Show.

Regards,

Tony