Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 8th January 2019, 21:33

Karoband will become famous soon enoughKaroband will become famous soon enough
Photos of Me 262 at Moosberg

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/album....&pictureid=602

http://forum. 12oclockhigh.net/album...&pictureid=603

These photos were posted today on the site in Jon Olsen's post no. 1 in this thread:

forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=51951

The poster credits the source as:

www.14thad.org/398thaaa/

via Marc-Andre Haldimand.

Jim
Old 9th January 2019, 05:23

JonOlsen88 is on a distinguished road
Re: Photos of Me 262 at Moosberg

Very cool, Jim! Thank you for sharing this this.
Old 9th January 2019, 10:32

Here's some info about this Me 262 from the Falk Eins blog. David Brown has studied it in detail. Any guesses about its W.Nr.? Judging from the navigation light on the rudder, it's from an early production W. Nr. series
http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2010/0...oband.html?m=1
Old 9th January 2019, 12:53

Sorry, Jon. I can't make out the werknummer.

This may be another view of it.

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/album....&pictureid=604

This photo was originally posted by David E. Brown in post No. 15 of this thread:

giving source

Also the spelling in the title of this thread should be Moosburg, north-east of Munich, found about 15 km. SW of Landshut.

The following thread gives more information:

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=36948

Last edited by Karoband; 9th January 2019 at 19:35. Reason: giving source of photo
Old 10th January 2019, 09:58

Thanks, Jim That's a great picture, and lots of useful information in that link. So according to David, this Me 262 was probably from the 1105xx or 1106xx W.N.r series. That's something! I'd be curious to know how he was able to identify this machine as specifically being from the 110xxx rather than 170xxx series (or even the 130xxx series) According to David, Me 262s from these three series were fitted with the same type of early navigation light. In the older thread from the link you posted he did mention something about the style of camouflage and national markings, but I'm not sure what to make of that.
Old 11th January 2019, 04:55

David E. Brown will become famous soon enough

Gents,

Those are great photos and assist with research on this machine that I believe it comes from the late 1105xx to 1106xx(ish) werknummer series.

I base this on its original underlying camouflage of RLM 81/82 uppersurfaces with a light overspray of RLM 76 over the lower half of the fuselage to create a reverse mottle effect. This is characteristic of machines from the 1105xx to 1106xx series. Over this was oversprayed a wellen pattern of a dark colour, my guess a green shade. These machines also have the faired-in tail light that disappeared after this group to be replaced by the small bulb type. The national markings styles fit with the series too. The blue and white KG(J) 54 small style karoband is definitive to its I. Gruppe, and is the painted over “Totenkopfwappen” on the nose exhibiting the same dimensions and position visible on other aircraft.

Based on the available photographs, it is possible to see how its V-kenn. changed through time:

• February(?) to mid-March 1945: “B3+??” - I./KG(J)54
• Mid-March to late April 1945: “ge.10+” – 3./KG(J) 54 (addition of dark green wellen and muting / overpainting of unit markings)
• Late April to early May 1945: “3+” – I./KG(J) 54? (addition of '3' over existing number '10')

Who the pilot was is a mystery but definitely someone who did not want to partake in Russian hospitality when they arrived in Prague on 8/9 May.

Best,

David
Old 11th January 2019, 10:13

Great! Thank you very much, David, for this detailed information.
Old 11th January 2019, 10:53
Alter Hase

ouidjat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by David E. Brown View Post
Gents,

Those are great photos and assist with research on this machine that I believe it comes from the late 1105xx to 1106xx(ish) werknummer series.

I base this on its original underlying camouflage of RLM 81/82 uppersurfaces with a light overspray of RLM 76 over the lower half of the fuselage to create a reverse mottle effect. This is characteristic of machines from the 1105xx to 1106xx series. Over this was oversprayed a wellen pattern of a dark colour, my guess a green shade. These machines also have the faired-in tail light that disappeared after this group to be replaced by the small bulb type. The national markings styles fit with the series too. The blue and white KG(J) 54 small style karoband is definitive to its I. Gruppe, and is the painted over “Totenkopfwappen” on the nose exhibiting the same dimensions and position visible on other aircraft.

Based on the available photographs, it is possible to see how its V-kenn. changed through time:

• February(?) to mid-March 1945: “B3+??” - I./KG(J)54
• Mid-March to late April 1945: “ge.10+” – 3./KG(J) 54 (addition of dark green wellen and muting / overpainting of unit markings)
• Late April to early May 1945: “3+” – I./KG(J) 54? (addition of '3' over existing number '10')

Who the pilot was is a mystery but definitely someone who did not want to partake in Russian hospitality when they arrived in Prague on 8/9 May.

Best,

David
Sorry David,

Speculation and ridiculous.

There is no emblem on this machine "overpainted with a brush".
There is no over sprayed square checkers with "RLM 81 Braune-Violet" ... In that case the guys would have taped the cross and black squares and since the contrast between "red" and "black" is exactly the same than on other machines... even with a "thin layer".

Show me the emblem, at least, then I will agree; if not ... Just inacceptable speculation.

Regards,
Franck.
Old 11th January 2019, 10:56
Alter Hase

ouidjat is on a distinguished road

Here is a different print of the same photo:
Show me the emblem !

Last edited by ouidjat; 16th October 2019 at 09:41.
Old 11th January 2019, 11:34

Thank you for sharing, David. I thought I saw a "10".

My apologies. I was careless. The link to the second picture should have been:

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/album....&pictureid=603

Jim