Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 17th December 2005, 04:52

Waldo.Pepper is on a distinguished road
Re: Radar Informationed needed...AN/APS-4 and AN/APS-6

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Hopp
Boy, Dave, you have a memory like a steel trap. Yes, the Monica indicator is to the left of the AI XV indicator. And, the 'control' box for the Monica is below the control box for the AI XV. It's shown on page 133 of the book.
Not in my page 133. My page 133 has a hand drawn map titled Coastal Radar Installations 1942. My copy is printed 1978 and is the first printing. My pages pp132, 133, 134 are not as you describe. What printing is yours?
Old 17th December 2005, 05:23

George Hopp

Quote:
Not in my page 133. My page 133 has a hand drawn map titled Coastal Radar Installations 1942. My copy is printed 1978 and is the first printing. My pages pp132, 133, 134 are not as you describe. What printing is yours?
Thanks for picking me up on that because it's an easy way for people to get confused about things. It was printed in 1984.
OK, I see the problem. I was talking about "The aircraft of 100 Group" which was first printed in 1984. You were speaking of "Confound and Destroy" of which I also have the printing of 1978.

All the best,
George
Old 17th December 2005, 05:32

Waldo.Pepper is on a distinguished road

Beauty!

However, I would say that it was you that picked up on that rather than me!

I shall have to track that book down. I may have a few tidbits of information in it that I need.

Thanks George!
Old 17th December 2005, 18:14

Dave Wadman

WP, You wrote:

"Not quite, the picture you are remembering is the install of the Mk 10 set."

No, I was referring to the illustration (as noted by George and described by the author as tentative) that appears on p.133 with the lower illustration showing how the scanner unit package was installed in the nose of those Mossies so equipped e.g. 23 & 141 Sqns.

IMO, with the a/c of these two squadrons also equipped with Gee, the author's tentative view is a logical one because with the Gee display mounted in its usual position (behind the pilot's seat), there would be precious little space elsewhere to fit the Monica display where it could be readily monitored. If you've ever had the opportunity to sit in a Mosquito cockpit you'll know exactly what I mean .

Again and IMO, while it is interesting to speculate on the cockpit installation of this particular system based on published information, it is likely that the only definitive information would be that provided by the relevant Air Publications if indeed they still exist.

Dave
Old 21st December 2005, 10:37

Vraa84 is on a distinguished road

Hi

Just wanted to say that "A history of 8 group" by Gordon Musgrove has a few pictures of oboe and H2S installetions, dont know if it helps.

Cheers Nick